anyone care to help out a newbie?

amanda2017

Hey ladies, I am SUPER NEWBIE to this, my first project was a mermaid tail for my daughter, I had never picked up a crochet hook ever in my life and I STRUGGLED through that project big time then swore I would never touch a hook again. Now I am moving onto a supposedly "beginner" pattern which is a doll but I started reading the pattern and I'm already lost when it comes to the yarn. I know NOTHING about yarn so please, feel free to talk to me like I am a total idiot.
So here is what the pattern says:

Materials

100% cotton Camilla, MADAME TRICOTE PARIS Colours: 5303 - shrimp
100% cotton Catania, Schachenmayr
Colours: 222 orchidee light pink, 251 fresie dark pink

100% bavlna Limone, schoeller+stahl 
Barvy: limone 100 gelb, lila 135 - purple 

My question, what if I can't find these EXACT yarns? How do I pick a yarn that will also work? Do I just look for 100% cotton yarns that match the colours I want? Are there different weights to consider? Here is a picture of what the finished product is supposed to look like 

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/254892674/pattern-doll-viky-crochet-pattern?ref=hp_rv

Hi, welcome to the Ville!

There are different weights so you do need to know that if you want the doll to come out to the same size as the pattern says.

You can go to the manufacturers websites to find yarn info and the gauge, stitches and rows per inch. Often only the knit gauge is given so if so, you can just match that.

There's a site called yarnsub that suggests substitutions and seems to have pretty good info on gauge and yarn weight. Some of their texture suggestions are off but you just want smooth yarn for this.

I hope the pattern is very clearly presented, this does not look like a beginner pattern to me.

There are a ton of pictures and it's quite detailed although yeah, pretty much every line i read I'm like, "what's that?" lol. So yeah, it'll be an adventure  :reyes

I went to the link you shared (thank you for that!) and it came back with this:

MADAME TRICOTE PARIS

Camilla Weight: Fingering / 4-ply Texture: Plied  Fiber: Cotton (100%) Needles: 2.5mm ( US) ( UK)
3.75mm (5 US) (9 UK) Gauge: 26-30 sts / 10cm (4") Balls: 50g; 123m (135 yds) Care: Machine wash (30C)

It's funny, when I look at those numbers I'm like a deer in the headlights, haha. It might as well be written in greek.

So I guess I should be looking for a cotton yarn that says, "26-30 sts/10cm (4")?

Is that right?

ok thank you again for your help. I just made a trip to the craft store and I couldn't find anything with 26-30 sts, the highest I found was 20 sts? I'm thinking I might be better off going to an actual yarn store. I couldn't find any of the substitute brands even. Is it common to have to order yarn in? That could get expensive..  :think

Yes, a local non-chain yarn specialty store (Local Yarn Store or LYS) is going to have a different selection than a craft store.  I guess Calgary has several LYS, and at least one has crochet classes http://theloop-kensington.com/classes/

Sometimes you can get 1 to 1 instruction/help also.  

Most of the Yarnsub suggestions are European brands and probably not easy to find in N. America.  But LYS can have really surprising selections so you may find something perfect.  

Re the yarn with gauge of 20 st over 4 inches/10 cm: You can use bigger yarn, and a correspondingly bigger hook, to make a larger doll.  Or use a different fiber than cotton.  Everything you change will affect how your doll turns out, but like any handmade item it is going to be one of a kind anyway.    here is a chart of the weight categories http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

I guess another consideration will be the fact that handling finer yarns feels somewhat different than heavier yarns.  If you've worked with worsted weight before, the fingering weight will feel different and perhaps need to be held more tightly to make a doll---stuffed toys are usually made at a fairly tight gauge.    

There is a lot of thicker yarn at craft stores, but not a lot of thinner, cotton yarn. One that I think would work is Cotton Fair by Premier. AC Moore just started carrying it again. Michael's carries it, but in very limited colors.

Your local yarn store might have more yarns that would work. Expect to pay more at a yarn shop.

magiccrochetfan: You are so sweet to do some googling for me! Thank you! I had searched the same and also came across the same shop, it's quite far from me but I am sure Calgary has a lot of other stores that are similar. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks so much for all of your help! 

redrosesdz: It was Michael's I went to but couldn't find anything then when I asked someone they had no idea, lol. So I need to get myself to a yarn store I think, at least someone there will probably be more knowledgable on how to pick the right yarn :)

So I need to get myself to a yarn store I think, at least someone there will probably be more knowledgable on how to pick the right yarn :)

I do think that is the best way to get personalized service and advice.  Sometimes the LYS yarn is not really more expensive as soon as you figure the per-yard cost, but also once you consider the service it becomes an even better value.  

You are more than welcome .  Do let us know how the project goes!  

Archived