Katia Astrakan Yarn Replacement

ReniC

Does anyone know of a substitute yarn like the white Katia Astrakan (Ravelry)? It's been discontinued and I'd love to make the adorable sheep on this blog

I thought about Lion Brand Homespun, but, it's too heavy a yarn weight for this project for what I have in mind.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

That fuzzy/boucle look reminds me of yarn from the late 70s; my mom crocheted me two hats from it that I still have :-)

Off the top of my head, I don't know of a sub , but will post if I can think of something. The sheep is really cute!

Thank you Kathy. I don't know of any other Goat Mohair, acrylic, nylon mix either. I love the curly look of the yarn though. Very realistic for a sheep softie/Ami. Next time I go into town I'll show the gal at the little LYS. Maybe she will know of something still out there.

magiccrochetfan, on 04 Apr 2017 - 4:27 PM, said:

Hi Kathy- Thank you for looking around for this yarn.  I checked out the links you provided and the "Cushendale Gidgigirl" would work great, but, I'm not finding a USA retail store that carries it. I'm taking this info also to the LYS when I get to go. Thanks again.

sometimes the international shipping is pretty reasonably priced so i thought those might work.  i didn't realize that neither site seems to have shipping info readily accessible, I guess one would have to email them to inquire....or fill out the whole order form to see the postage amount, which is a lot of work!  

Hi Kathy-  Given I'm not very fast at crochet anymore, ordering through a International yarn site would take too long. I wanted to make the lambs for Easter gifts. Having said that, I suppose I will have to go with a synthetic something like Bernat- Happy yarn.

I do appreciate all your help.

Archived