Lace up Loop

Tracey135

Question

I am working on a pattern that has me doing 10 double crochet's, then 10 chains, so I have chains between each block of DC. After I finish all the rows it states ,"LACE UP LOOPS: (start at bottom)
Loop 2nd loop under first, 3 rd loop under 2nd, 4th loop under 3rd.... Continue looping all loops in this fashion. Can anyone help me with this part? The pattern can be found by doing a search for Lace Up Crochet Afghan. It is a free pattern.

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville!

This is usually called Jacobs Ladder. Here are instructions http://jessieathome.com/stitchopedia-jacobs-ladder-crochet/

The pattern description of looping under seems odd, would have made more sense if they said through. Also a clear photo would help a lot. Edit...I mean that I think the pattern should include a much better photo so people could see what it actually looks like.

The video in post 2 is pretty clear on how do do the lace-up part, she gets the same result but does it sort of backwards to the way I have done it.  She leaves the last loop hanging, and grabs the next loop and pulls it thru.  What is the same thing, but a little more intuitive for a crocheter (to me at least), is use either a hook (or your finger as a hook, since it's sort of large scale): 

--twist the first strand to form a loop as shown in the video,

--put the hook/finger under the loop (so the loop is draped over the hook),

--grab the next strand and pull the strand thru the loop, so the strand is the new loop..kindasorta making chain stitch

--repeat the last step to the end

This technique is exactly the same as a knitter would do to fix a dropped stitch, or a 'run' (and many knitters use a crochet hook to lace the stitch back up).  Here is a video, you can see the horizontal strands and the way she is lacing it up is the same as my description above (except you don't twist the first strand to make a loop)

Archived