Help Please Cluster Stitch

debbie135

Question

This cluster stitch has me really confused. I am not sure if I am reading it right.

It is from a Bernat pattern.  It is from the Cluster Yoke Cardigan that is a free pattern on their website, and I have attached the link to the pattern.  I am confused by Row 4:

With B, ch 3. 1 dc in next sc. [Ch 1. Miss next sc. (Yoh and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next sc. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook - cluster made] 4 (5) times

Yoh and draw up a loop.(2 stitches on hook) Yoh (3 stitches on hook) and draw through 2 loops on hook (1 stitch on hook) 3 times in next sc. Would I have 3 stitches in this sc. after doing this part of the stitch. Then it says to do this 4 times, that would mean I would have 12 stitches in the same sc, Is that right?

It continues to  say (Ch 1. Cluster. Ch 1) in next st. (Cluster. Ch 1. Cluster) in next sc. (Ch 1. Miss next sc. Cluster in next sc) 4 times. If I were to put 2 clusters in the same sc that would be 24 stitches, it doesn't sound right or look right

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/cluster-yoke-cardigan.html?id=193538

Thank you for all your help

7 answers to this question

Cute pattern!

The first part of row 4 of the pattern says

With B, ch 3. 1 dc in next sc. [Ch 1. Miss next sc. (Yoh and draw up a loop. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next sc. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook - cluster made] 4 (5) times.

When you see something in brackets, conventional US pattern grammar  means to do all of that stuff into 1 step, usually over multiple stitches (that is usually followed with "x times"). Normally parentheses are used for an instruction of what to do into 1 stitch, but this pattern seems to use it a little differently, more like brackets except in the first instruction above where they needed nested punctuation. In your pattern, the red bracket covers 2 stitches, because it tells you to skip a stitch; and a () is telling you (a repeating part) of what to do in 1 stitch.  I assume you are doing the smaller size, so you will do all the stitches in the [ ] over the next 8 stitches (4 are skipped).

Row 4 is a long instruction! 

If it says (something) in the next stitch, do what it says.  

If it says (something) x times, do all the (something) in each of the next x stitches.  

If it says (something in the first stitch, miss a stitch, something in the next stitch) x times, do what it says over the 3 stitches indicated, and repeat that over the next x sets of 3 stitches.

The conventional US pattern writing grammar is here (scroll down a bit for brackets and parentheses)

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

You're welcome! The illustrations help me a lot in understanding stitches, because I get "tangled up" in the written steps sometimes. To me this pattern would be easier to understand with a symbol diagram, but it is only written.

It is helpful to know also that, as we see here, the terms are not standardized...what one person calls a cluster, another person calls a bobble.

Archived