Odd question

Feywalker

Soon I'll have enough yarn spun to be able to set it. So here's the question part: Is it okay to put essential oils in the final rinse water to make it smell good?

Kassi

i was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, i thought lavender or cedar to help ward off nasties. i can't imagine anything as little as a couple of drops could do any damage, but i'm open to correction if anyone knows better.

i've been adding lanolin (that i had for waterproofing wool nappy wraps) to the soak water and it makes the yarn much softer and smoother, especially the stuff that's gone a little crispy from lots of dyeing.

I can't think it would do any harm so long as it was only a couple of drops because we have eucalyptus oil in our wool wash here in Oz. The thing i do myself is put the greasy fleece or washed wool into foam boxes with lids and put a few drops of oil onto a cotton ball and throw it in the box. That seems to work well. Also never keep pure wool in plastic for long periods of time its better in a pillow case or wrapped in an old sheet if your going to store it any length of time. Enjoy!

If the yarn is for your own use, go for it. If you are planing to sell it or give an item to someone, be sure to state what was used. Some people are highly sensative to oils like lavender and eucalyptis. which are good for repeling moths.

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

Archived