Pattern help, very new to this

Missy Feathers

Question

5 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

previous to this have you worked parts that are identified as the cuff, wrist, and hand?  

if you tell us the title of the pattern and the name of the book or pamphlet it is in, that would be very helpful as someone may have it to refer to.  

Hi Majiccrovhetfan, no I haven't ever worked a cuff, wrist or hand piece before. The book I am using is a 1979 learn to crochet in 8 easy steps. The pattern is childs mittens, on page 13. The pattern is for a child size 2-4, but also can be adjusted for 2 more larger sizes. I sure hope this helps someone who can help me. Thank you for replying to my post. I hope to learn alot here.

Welcome to the 'ville!

Gloves & mittens usually start at the cuff, work up to the base of the hand and make an accommodation (a hole and possibly shaping) for the thumb-to-be, and come back to finish the thumb.  (I suppose they could start at the fingertip and work down, too...I just haven't made any that way).  

It's a good idea to at least skim a pattern all the way through before starting, for anything but especially a wearable, to make sure you understand how the it goes together, and what part you are working on.  "Working the cuff and wrist" is not an absolute, specific crochet instruction that everybody knows the meaning of without seeing your specific pattern; it's telling you what part you are working on (or are about to be) so you can get your bearings of where you are.  Does it have a diagram?

The chaining 12, SC in 5th St from end of hand on opposite side sounds like it is making the thumb hole.  So you must have been made the cuff and part of the hand already, but possibly just didn't realize where you were in the pattern.

Thank you for replying, no diagram is available, and I am green as a gourd on this .lol The page has 3 items to crochet, a child's hat and mittens both in 3 sizes and a scarf. I made the hat without too much trouble so I decided to tackle the mittens. They look good, at least to me, just don't have thumbs yet, and I think I might have to stitch them up on both sides. Right now it is just an open mitten. Lol

Archived