Crochet pouch for a line magnifier

Lin49

Question

7 answers to this question

I'd just make a chain.  then thread it around the top, between stitches, using a large tapestry needle or pulling it through with a hook.  

if you want it thicker, make a chain then slip stitch or single crochet  into each chain.  Or you could do foundation sc.  

also i would try to use very soft/smooth yarn, as I'd be concerned to not get the magnifier scratched.  

The easiest thing to do is to crochet a rectangle.  Fold it in half and join the sides, leaving the top open.  Cut some ribbon (or something else that is a bit slippery.)  Secure a safety pin to one end of the ribbon.  Weave it in and out of the top's stitches.  Remove the safety pin.  Cut both ends of the ribbon at an angle and lightly melt the ends with a lighter/match to keep it from unraveling.  Pull the ribbon and tie it.

:waving @Kathy!

Line magnifier - the sort that is sort of like a fat ruler?  

So, the closure would be at the narrow end?

I think I'd use either the yarn you made it with, or perhaps an I-cord made with doily cotton thread.  Reason - I made a (fabric) roll-up caddy and used a ribbon closure, and it's frayed badly; it wasn't threaded into holes in the fabric (which would have caused more damage), it was sewed onto the edge, and has frayed just from untying and retying the bow to close the caddy.  It was satin ribbon, and grosgrain might hold up better, but it was 1/4" wide ribbon and I imagine you'd want to be using narrower stuff to close a little opening.  I just can't see ribbon holding up very well.  When my ribbon gets really bad, I'm thinking I'll replace it with a ribbon or a sturdy i-cord made with doily thread.

If it's that long, then you might want to make a tube, and sew up just one end.

Yeah, ribbons do tend to fray after a while.  Cutting them at an angle and melting the ends helps with that.  It depends on the ribbon.  Some ribbon has edges that are better than others.  The good part about using a ribbon is that it'll slide easy.  The bad part is the possibility of fraying. 

Instead of a drawstring pouch, you could make a flap at the top and close it with a button.

My ribbon frayed all along the length of it (in the bow-tying area), I was surprised at how fragile it was.  I just looked, the ends (cut at an angle) are holding up comparatively well :P

Yeah, flap with either a button hole or chain loop & button might be easier/sturdier.

Archived