Cardigan Help?

Lemondrizzle17

Question

I have just started crocheting a cardigan and am a bit confused by these instructions;

Row 5: 3ch and 1tr into the first ptr (counts as 1 ptr), ptr across, 1 ptr in next unworked

st from Row 2. Turn. 16 (17, 18, 17, 19, 19, 20, 21)ptr

Row 6 - 22 (22, 22, 24, 28, 28, 28, 29): Repeat Row 5 until all the ptr in row 2 have been

worked, working the selvedge stitch and the last ptr in the last 2 rows.

I think the other name for paired trebles is 'v' stitch.

Can any one help explain? I am doing the back, shaping around the sleeves. What does line 6 mean? How can you continue doing ptr in line two, surely it will fold over and over? And then 'selvedge stitch' does she just mean the edge, there is no mention in pattern of a special edge stitch. In fact further down there are instructions for the collar edging.

'And the last ptr in the last 2 rows' ???

This is an advanced pattern, but I'm only on row 6! There is no diagram. Can anyone help, I'm so disappointed that I'm stuck and no one seems to be able to help!!

Amy x

Row 5: 3ch and 1tr into the first ptr (counts as 1 ptr), ptr across, 1 ptr in next unworked

st from Row 2. Turn. 16 (17, 18, 17, 19, 19, 20, 21)ptr

Row 6 - 22 (22, 22, 24, 28, 28, 28, 29): Repeat Row 5 until all the ptr in row 2 have been

worked, working the selvedge stitch and the last ptr in the last 2 rows.

11 answers to this question

Your pattern has 8 sizes,  You follow a different instruction from this point, based on the size you are making.  

The instructions are different depending on the size, so for the smallest 3 sizes, you will be repeating row 5 for rows 6-22, for the fourth size you will be repeating row 5 from row 6-24, etc.

size 1(size 2, size 3, size 4, size 5, size 6, size 7, size 8 )

What I do is circle the number of the instruction for my size before I start the pattern so I don't forget.  Some pattern companies color code these, which is great. This is a normal convention for patterns covering multiple sizes.

I just realized that the sizing part of row 6 should have made sense to you if you were able to work row 5.  

In row 5 you reached down and worked one unworked stitch from row 2, and were left with some number of unworked stitches in row 2, at the end of row 5.

So, in row 6 and beyond to the row indicated by your size, you continue to pick up the next unworked stitch from row 2, presumably until you run out of them.

Hi thanks so much for your reply. Sorry, this is a uk pattern for a pleated cardigan.

I thought I understood the sizes and was working the smallest one. How am I supposed to know that I work row 5 for the rows 6-22 instead of row 6?

Also if I carry on crocheting a taller and taller piece but still go back at the end of each row to row 2 to work 2 ptr, will it not all just fold over on it's self and roll up or will it all work out?

I am new to this forum and am so grateful for all your help, thank you x

Hi sorry just reread your post and realised that is not what you were saying, about doing row 5 instead of row 6 you were just telling me about crochet for the right size. I think I'm a bit nervous about this pattern and getting it right that I'm expecting everything to be confusing, when actually when I reread it you weren't at all!

Addressing your questions in post 5:

The instructions for row 6-22 (for your size) say to repeat row 5, meaning to do the same thing as in row 5.  It's just an easy way not to repeat the same instructions for row 5 over and over again for rows 7-22. (this is also a fairly standard way to write a pattern)

I like to use markers for this sort of thing (my favorite is a bobby pin -- Kirby grip since I think you may be in the UK), but you could use a safety pin, bent paper clip or purchased stitch marker.  In this pattern, I'd mark row 6 so I could use it to count 6, 7, 8 etc. to row 22 to know when to stop repeating the pattern from row 5.  Hopefully this is also where you will also run out of unused stitches from row 2. 

Do you know what spot you are at in the sweater (neckline, hem, sleeve...?)  Does row 2 have unworked stitches on each end?  I was sort of thinking the same thing about folding over because there are several rows between row 2 and 6;  If the unworked stitches were in row 5, I'd have thought you were working short rows (used for shaping, like raising the back of the neck for example).  Could you tell us the name of the pattern, and where it's from (a book, etsy shop)?  It might help us if we could see the pattern and know what part of the pattern you are working to help us visualize it.

Yes that's the pattern. I've been rereading the comments but they haven't really been about the same part.

Yes I think I am crocheting short rows. Thanks for the idea about putting in a stitch marker as I go along that will be helpful. I am just doing exactly what it says but because it says only on row 2 pick up a stitch, I have a lopsided piece of crochet with a curve down to row 2 on the left shaped quite nicely actually it didn't fold over at all. But the right is going up in a straight line. And I can't work out where on earth this will fit on to the cardigan. It doesn't say do this again on other side so I really don't know what I'm actually crocheting. Did so read it wrong (again?).

The pattern says you start at the top back. Thanks so much for your support.

Searching around for info on the pattern, I found an entry for it on the designer's site http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com/patterns1#/pleatedcardigan/

Note she is selling the pattern herself now and says that version has errata corrected. So maybe the problem is actually an error in the pattern.  Have you looked on the magazine site for a listing of errata?  

Archived