Beginner's help

Greenhoney

Question

Hello, my husband's Granny recently passed and left an unfinished blanket behind. Since I am the only knitter in the family it was given to me and I would like to finish it for my mother in law. It is all double crochet, except the ends are rounded. I can't figure out how to replicate this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is going to be a simple striped blanket with two colors, I would like to finish what she started but no one knows exactly what that was!! I tried but it turned out straight at the edge and hers seems rounded with space in the middle.

5 answers to this question

She may have been doing too many chains in her turning chain. The normal for a dc is 2 or 3 chains. The purpose is to get up to the height of the next stitch. How many chains depends on your tension. Too many chains causes the turning chain to bow outwards and creates a gap between it and the first stitch.

Usually people ask how to make a straight edge & get rid of the gap. I would try adding 1 or 2 chains to your turning chain.

Good luck! It's really hard to complete someone else's work, because of different tension.

Welcome to the 'ville!   Can you post a picture of the rounded end, maybe we can figure out how it was done.  Instructions on how to post a photo here: go to the help menu above, then how do I...?  

The first thing that comes to mind is, many times a border has a rounded corner because you typically use multiple stitches to go around the corner, but an unfinished blanket wouldn't have a border yet....the second thing might be that she (like a lot of us) may have made her foundation chain tighter than her following rows, which can cause a sort of roundish look...but a picture would definitely help.

Oops, posted at the same time - Hi Redrosesdz!

Archived