Polar bear pattern

Joshuareece13

Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

As Mary Jo said, a link to the pattern or book helps.  Also, you can type the row/round where you're having trouble and 1 or 2 rows/rounds before the problem.  The more details you can provide, the easier it is for us to help you.  We're pretty good at resolving issues, but we're not mind readers.

There are a couple of things that you're not allowed to do.  You can't type the entire pattern.  You can't take a picture of the pattern and post the picture.  You can't post a picture that you don't own.  Those are copyright violations.  That's why providing a link and typing a few rows/rounds are suggested.

As said above, do share which part of the pattern you're stuck on so we can help you better, but I have a hunch it might be related to the below.  I've been crocheting for years, and I always put a stitch marker in the first stitch of the round, because there's sort of an optical illusion loop that can cause you to gain stitches.

In the pic below:

The yarn end is at the point right before the last stitch of the second round will be joined to the first stitch of the same round.

There is a red arrow pointing to the stitch that the chain-3 (first 'stitch' in round 2) came out of. 

That red arrow 'stitch' is not a stitch, and should not be used at the end of the row (if you do, you've made 1 too many stitches in round 2)

I should have made another color arrow to show the joining point, but you want to join the end of the round in the top chain of the chain-3.

If you do use that loop, over a number of rounds, the extra stitches will keep multiplying....

....this is a tip that the pattern won't tell you, but you know how each round is x plain stitches, make 2 stitches into 1, repeat?  What I sometimes do (but not in this photo ) is not make the last '2 into 1' increase in the last real stitch, but make 1 stitch into the last stitch and 1 stitch into the 'illusion loop'.  The 'illusion loop' (when unused) makes a little gap, and modifying the last increase to use the loop closes that gap.

Edit, I swear there was only 1 pic earlier...sorry!

post-13625-0-44475800-1480527846_thumb.jpg

post-13625-0-28865600-1480528102_thumb.jpg

Granny Square makes an excellent point.  Any kind of marker will do, but I prefer to use a strand of yarn (a different color, so it's easy to see.)  I lay one end of the yarn across the first stitch.  Then for the next round, I flip the long end across the first stitch.  Flip it back the next round, etc.  It becomes a running stitch, just like the sewing term.  At the end, pull it out.  It makes a great marker, because you'll always see the beginning of the round and you can use it to count rounds.

I keep a light colored strand and a dark colored strand, both about 12", in my tool kit.  That way they are handy for making rounds.  Bright colors work well, too.

Archived