Pricing

nystock

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome   to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

Myself, I would take the price of each skein and divide by the # of yards in the skein.

We do have a spot for questions, perhaps you will get a better answer than the one I gave you.

I've moved this topic over to the General Crochet Help area.

Price per yard is simply the price of the skein divided by the number of yarns in the skein.

The real question is, why do you need this information?

If you're just comparing yarns to figure out which is cheaper per yard, then use the actual price you're paying for the yarn, whether you're paying full retail, a sale price, or a price after a percentage off coupon.

If you're making items for sale, and you want to know how much the yarn you used in the project cost you, you should calculate two numbers: the cost at full retail and the cost at the sale price you paid. You should use the full retail number when you calculate your regular selling price, as you never know when you'll have to pay full price and when you'll be able to get it on sale.

After you come up with your regular selling price, you can use the sale price to help you determine if you want to price this specific item differently, whether it be for a "show special" or a "one time discount" or something else.

Archived