help in pattern

Edgerallenpoedameron

Question

Hi I'm new here thanks for looking at my thread. I'm trying to make this: http://stitchingupastormcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/01/star-wars-twilek-hat-pattern.html

The 2nd row it says:

Round 2:  Ch 3, DC in same stitch.  2 DC in each stitch around, Join with a slip stitch to end round.

What does in the same stich mean, which stitch? The 3rd chain? the 1st? A different one?  I'm brand new at crocheting only made a small amigurumi thus far.  Thanks

14 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Have you done DC before?  (I'm speaking in US terms).  Most amigurumis are done in SC, and in the round.

When you work flat and turn each row, you need to bring the yarn up to the level of the next row.  If you are working in the round in a spiral, you don't have to do that, you just keep going round and round...

Bringing the yarn up to the next row level is called a turning chain. It counts as a stitch in most cases.

For SC, the turning chain is chain 1 at the end of the row (or round that is not worked into a spiral), and work into the first stitch.  The turning chain does not count as a stitch.

For DC, the turning chain is chain 3 at the end of the row (or round that is not worked into a spiral), and work into the second stitch.  The turning chain counts as a stitch--this is why you skip the first stitch and make your first 'real'DC into the second stitch, because the chain-3 'acts' like it is using up the space of the first stitch from the row below.

Oh dear, Hi Magic!  (we often post at the same time) :hi

Oops, meant to also say: so your instruction is telling you to chain 3 and DC in the same stitch = it means the first stitch, because the chain is acting like it is in the first stitch.  Your directions will give you the equivalent of 2 stitches into each stitch from the row below.

Until you get the hang of this, it's a good idea to put a stitch marker into the third chain of the chain-3.  This will help you see this as a stitch, because you will need to work into this last chain (which acts like a stitch) at the end of the next row.  (I use bobby pins as stitch markers, you could use a bent paper clip or even purchased markers, but bobby pins are cheaper)

I have another question I don't know if I should start a new thread or just post it here? 

The pattern is this:

1. Magic ring, ch 2 (counts as dc for the remainder of lekku), 4 dc in magic ring; join
  2. Ch 2, 2 dc in next dc, dc in net 3 dc; join (6 stitches)
  3. Ch 2, dc in each dc (6 stitches)
  4. Repeat round 3
    My question is it doesn't say join at the 2nd of round 3, but it goes without saying right? I should join the circle at the end of round three? In general the rest of the pattern goes like this:
  5. Ch 2, 2dc in next dc, dc in remaining dc (7 stitches)
  6. Ch 2, 2dc in next dc, dc in remaining dc (8 stitches)
  7. Ch 2, 2dc in next dc, dc in remaining dc (9 stitches)
  8. Ch 2, 2dc in next dc, dc in remaining dc (10 stitches)
  9. Ch 2, 2dc in next dc, dc in remaining dc (11 stitches)

They are all joined at the end right?  Also another question I have is what stitch should I be using to join the round together? The first real stitch, the end of the chain?

Ok, so this is actually project notes not a formally written pattern. I think she just left out the word join there.

She is counting the chain at beginning of each round as a stitch. We can see this by looking at the stitch counts: look at round two, there are six sts only if the ch counts as a st. So join with a slip stitch into the top of the chains at start of round.

It is possible to work in a spiral rather than joining, but if so you wouldn't have any ch at start of round.

Even at a tight gauge, US DC is going to be tricky to fill without the fill showing.  It appears your gauge is on the loose side; mine is on the slightly tight side of 'normal' (based on most patterns I've made) and if I used RHSS and a G hook, it would look much tighter than your sample. (the project and the Rav pattern header mentions H hook, but the pattern on the blog says G).  

For this cone shaped thing, you might not need fill all the way to the tip, and it's hard to stuff an area with an enclosed space of only a couple of stitches.  Less is more when it comes to stuffing crochet.

Archived