Crochet Business Query

Hello Everyone,

I would love some feedback if possible!

I was in the hairdressers on Saturday getting my hair and nails done for my birthday yesterday! When I was talking to the beautician about wanting to go back to work, but would still like to work from home if possible, she asked if I had a hobby I could turn into a small business of something, she suggested I do a post on my facebook wall, my personal account of a recent project and say that I was looking to start selling things that I make. This is something that I enjoy, the crocheting that is. I can crochet beanies, flower bouquets, scarfs, granny square afghans etc.

Is there anyone here that sells handmade stuff? If so,

Could I ask you a few questions?

How do you charge potential/customers?

Taking the cost of the materials you need to buy to make the item how do you charge your customers?

How much do you charge for delivery?

Do you take a deposit first? As incase you start making things and potential customers then change their mind?

There's a business section (scroll down further than this one) in this forum that might get more traffic from sellers that can help answer your question.

From what I've read in a lot of other posts, I doubt if most who attempt to sell their works are successful at making money at it, sorry to be gloomy.  Most potential buyers expect to pay a price 'for just a homemade item' less than they'd pay for a similar item made in China by a machine.  I think non crafters look at the price of 1 skein of inexpensive yarn and figure you can get a couple of blankets out of that 1 skein, and whip them up in a couple of hours.

If you have a custom request, I'd recommend quoting a price and asking for 50% (nonrefundable) up front, at least you'll have your material covered if the  customer balks at paying the balance in the end.

In the US the USPS has an online calculator to figure postage, but you'd have to add in something to recoup packaging.  Plus, there may be taxes to account for.

I haven't no luck in selling on Facebook.  I even have a crochet page. Nobody buys. Not yet, anyways But  I keep it there. And some day hopefully they will buy something. All You can do is try. 

Archived