chainless foundation chain?

Dillweed

Question

I'm finally understanding the foundation chain, but does anyone know of a tutorial that shows the next row?  I'm a little confused how to continue when I'm done working the foundation chain. 
Do I just continue as the a pattern would say, chain 1 and turn and then go into the first sc or what have you?

I would love to watch someone else do it, to see exactly what to do.  I'm not sure why I have such a block with the foundation chain.  LOL  I have put off learning how to do it for a while.

14 answers to this question

When you use fsc vs. a chain for the foundation and what you do next depends on what you're making.

An fsc is really a chain and row 1 done at the same time. So, if the pattern is row 1 all sc, then you're on row 2 next. If the pattern's first row is something else, then you have to decide if you're adding an sc row or if you should do a chain and follow the pattern.

If you start with fsc and you decided to add the sc row, because row 1 isn't all sc, then you do the pattern's row 1. The difference is that you start row 1 with like every other row. Ignore the instruction that says to do a stitch into a certain chain. Replace it with a turning chain and into the proper stitch (1st for sc, 2nd for dc/tr, skipping if pattern starts with that).

Just double checking your terms - by the wording of your post, you're commenting on working into the chain...when a chainLESS foundation DC or SC has no chain, just an extra yarnover within a non-chain stitch.  

Also, if this is for the hat in your other post, you don't want a chainless foundation (which uses a row or round of the typically the same basic, non-compound* stitches taller than a chain; in other words, all FSC or FDC for example), you want either a real chain or an adjustable ring that adds no height.  Chainless foundations don't work with everything.  When you are working in the round from the center, like the hat, you need to be careful about adding or subtracting height because it can make the piece ruffle or cup, when you want it to lie flat.  If the first round of your hat was x SC as the first round, it would work to sub a FSC round for the chain and first round of SC, but I think trying to make a row of chainless puff stitches is...probably not possible, or requires more effort to figure out than just starting with a chain or adjustable ring.

*a compound stitch is like a V-stitch, shell, puff etc., where a group of basic stitches (chain, SC, DC, etc.) make up a 'stitch'.

Yes, sorry for the confusion.  This has nothing to do with the hat post. :)

I didn't know what to call it, because a foundation chain is referred to as the initial chain you start with, but also the combined chain and sc is also referred to as a foundation chain.  I confused the whole chainless, which I understand is something totally different. 

Maybe now you are all as confused as I am.  LOL

I am having a problem understanding the fsc, fdc, or fhdc, etc.  I understand how to do it, I just don't understand how to proceed with the next row. 
I know you follow along with the next row as instructed in the pattern, but I am confused how to turn and start the next row.

Here is the pattern I am referring to...
http://www.waters-wears.com/2015/01/07/crochet-crowns-two-free-patterns/
I am working the crown(the second one down)

I have done the fsc, but just can't get how to start the next row.  I know I have done something wrong, because I am missing the spaces in the crown right above the fsc and row 2, if that makes sense.  I 'll try to add a picture in the post below. 

Row 2: working into ch spaces of FSC, 1 sc in each stitch around, join with sl st into first sc

Also, the joining didn't go to well.  There's a big lump of crochet where I definitely did something wrong.

I really really love to crochet, but I must say, I am excited to get to that point where I know how to do what most patterns are talking about. 
It feels harder to learn, because when you need help with something, and you are the only crocheter around.  You are just stuck. O_o
So grateful for the help here. ♥

First of all, what you've done on the crown looks great!

What the pattern is asking you to do has nothing to do with the fact that it started with fsc.  Row 2's instructions could occur after any sc row.  I'm guessing that you're hung up on that the beginning was fsc, instead of a chain and sc row.  The only difference between an fsc and a chain/sc row 1 combination is that fsc is done in one pass and the other is done in 2 passes.  Both make a chain and a row of sc stitches.

When you get to row 2, normally you'd insert your hook in the top of row 1's stitches to do row 2.  Instead of inserting your hook under the top 2 strands, you're going to insert your hook in the space between the chain and the sc stitch.  You're actually inserting your hook under the sc part of the fsc and above the chain part of the fsc.

Slip stitching fsc, fdc, fhdc to make it a round can look messier than slip stitching a chain/sc row combination at first.  You want to make sure that you do the slip stitch only in the top of the sc part of the fsc.  This makes it look like the chain part is unattached.  It looks like there is a gap where it joins.  This is normal.  When you weave in the beginning tail, use it to close that gap.  If you try to join both the sc part and the chain part of fsc with the slip stitch, you'll get a bulge.

I hope this helps!  Please ask again if it doesn't make sense or it didn't answer what you're confused about!  I can't wait to see the finished crown.  :)

First of all, what you've done on the crown looks great!

What the pattern is asking you to do has nothing to do with the fact that it started with fsc.  Row 2's instructions could occur after any sc row.  I'm guessing that you're hung up on that the beginning was fsc, instead of a chain and sc row.  The only difference between an fsc and a chain/sc row 1 combination is that fsc is done in one pass and the other is done in 2 passes.  Both make a chain and a row of sc stitches.

When you get to row 2, normally you'd insert your hook in the top of row 1's stitches to do row 2.  Instead of inserting your hook under the top 2 strands, you're going to insert your hook in the space between the chain and the sc stitch.  You're actually inserting your hook under the sc part of the fsc and above the chain part of the fsc.

Slip stitching fsc, fdc, fhdc to make it a round can look messier than slip stitching a chain/sc row combination at first.  You want to make sure that you do the slip stitch only in the top of the sc part of the fsc.  This makes it look like the chain part is unattached.  It looks like there is a gap where it joins.  This is normal.  When you weave in the beginning tail, use it to close that gap.  If you try to join both the sc part and the chain part of fsc with the slip stitch, you'll get a bulge.

I hope this helps!  Please ask again if it doesn't make sense or it didn't answer what you're confused about!  I can't wait to see the finished crown.  :)

Oh my goodness!  Thank you so much!

I finished one! I realized, halfway through, that row 2 was worked with the chains on the top and the single crochet on the bottom. So, my chain spaces turn up on the bottom, instead of above the first single crochet row. Anyway, it still looks pretty and will make a perfect stocking stuffer for my 3 and 5yo. ????

Thank you for all your help! ❤️

The close up is of the join. You can barely see it. Yey!

post-67781-0-57454500-1476177786_thumb.jpg

post-67781-0-54480500-1476177880_thumb.jpg

I'm new here and to crocheting so I'm of no help whatsoever but just wanted to say how pretty that crochet work is!

Thank you so much! ❤️ I'm pretty new, too. I would say intermediate new. LOL

This forum is amazing and so helpful. Welcome!

Archived