Pattern help?

Dillweed

Question

Help?  I'm just starting a new project and the first two instructions don't make sense to me. 

They say...

Make a magic ring of 6, and sl st closed.

Make a 2yo puff in each st, sl st into the top of first puff.

I know how to make a magic ring, but what does "of 6, and sl st closed". 
A magic ring doesn't have stitches to  stitch into?  I was thinking it meant to make a ring with a chain 6 and then join to close, but then the next row say to "a 2yo puff in each stitch..."

A chain ring doesn't have stitches does it?  Am I missing something obvious?

What is a 2yo puff?  Does that mean 2 yarn over puff?  Does anyone have a link to show how to do that?

Thank you!  Thank you!  I hope this makes sense.  I was so excited to start...and then squashed.  LOL

9 answers to this question

I don't think you are missing anything, it is just very poorly written and/or the writer doesn't understand crochet terms very well.

Where is the pattern? Are there any photos to help understand it?

I agree it is not very well written. It should explain the puff st. somewhere in the pattern. I would try making the magic ring and do 6 sc in it joining in the first one then do a puff st in each sc.

We might be able to help better if we knew what the pattern was and where to find it.

puff stitch

It's an Etsy pattern, that I purchased, so I can't link it. So weird, all the reviews are good and everyone said how well written and understandable it was. ????

Sarisue, I will try that. Thank you. ????

She did say in the description of the item, that she wouldn't be explaining anything in the pattern, and that you have to know how to do it on your own. Which I do, but it just doesn't make sense.

I know how to do a puff stitch, but I can't find anything that talks about a 2yo puff stitch. Blah!

I will try and contact her. Maybe she will clarify.

I wonder if the designer isn't a native English speaker. Patterns like you'd find in a modern US magazine give more detailed instructions than US vintage patterns (and I believe a lot of modern non-US patterns).  I would have expected a US pattern to say something like "chain 6, slst into first chain to make a ring, {detailed instructions for a puff stitch into the first chain} - first puff stitch made.  Make a puff stitch into the remaining 5 chains, slip stitch to the top of the first puff stitch".

I agree that 'make a magic ring of 6' makes no sense, although starting with a ring of 6 chains does - and yes, a chain ring of 6 does have stitches, if you were crocheting back and forth, you'd start by crocheting into a chain, right?  Things made in the round often start with chain rings, but the instructions usually tell you to crochet a greater number of stitches over the chains...however you can also crochet into them.  I would think that you could start either way, magic ring or into chains.  Into chains might look better, would just have a different look and might look better into chains if the center needs to be slightly open for some reason.

I hope the rest of the pattern goes easier for you.

A 2 yo puff is just a skinny puff is all...the link on Sarisue's post shows a 3 yo puff, it's the number of times you stitch into the base stitch. 

It's an Etsy pattern, that I purchased, so I can't link it. So weird, all the reviews are good and everyone said how well written and understandable it was.

I would still like to know what the pattern is. You can link to the Etsy link or just give the name the designer uses for it. 

Thanks so much, guys. Here is the link to the etsy page. I was planning to make it in non-Pokémon colors. It's a super cute hat. ????

I would say I'm an intermediate beginner, so some pattern readings are still hard for me anyway, but this one threw me for a loop.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/250182343/crochet-pattern-the-original-pokemon?ref=hp_rf

seeing the photo, it definitely appears to be a skinny puff like GrannySquare said.  Like it says in the tutorial Sarisue linked to, a puff is made of half doubles, so this puff is simply 2 half doubles.  

I searched puff stitch patterns yesterday and found  lots of hats so i checked how they started. Most of them started with the puff stitches in the ring but still not sure what yours means  to start.

I was hoping the picture would show how yours starts but it is hard to see that part.  I agree it does look like the rest are 2 hdc puffs though. That's a nice hat so I hope the designer answers  you soon.

Archived