New Learner

Becki91

Question

Hi All,

I am currently I new learner, started so that I can make my sister a baby blanket for her new baby - exciting times :)

I am currently using a double knit called Marriner - Midget, however I find it very fluffy and not as easy to work with as I hoped- currently just practicing some basic stitches and it's very fluffy and not as tight if a wool that I'm hoping for :/

Does anyone have any great suggestions of wool types which they are finding great to work with? I'm in the UK so it will have to be able to be delivered to the UK!

Thank You in advanced!

Happy Crocheting!

Becki :) x

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I'm in the US, so I had to look up Marriner Midget yarn.  First, it's 100% acrylic, which is great for a baby blanket.  For baby items, it's best to use either man-made (acrylic) or plant fibers (cotton, hemp, etc.)  If you use animal fibers, it could cause allergies.  However, those are tiny balls of yarn.  It's going to take a ton of them to make a baby blanket.  You're better off using a regular size skeins or big skeins.  In the US, the big craft stores have an aisle for baby yarn.

Second, 100% acrylic works up differently than wool.  It's different between different manufacturers, too.  Animal fibers have a tendency to bond, so stitches will appear to be tighter than acrylic or plant yarns.  As far as fluffy, that's the manufacturer.  There are acrylics that do not feel fluffy, but are soft after a few washings.  Most yarn in the US labeled for a baby works up fluffier than other yarn.

I hope this helps!

Hi Becki, welcome from me too!

In the US we usually use the word "yarn" for every kind of yarn, whether it is made of wool or some other fiber like acrylic.  I understand that in the UK the word "wool" is often used for every kind of yarn, not only those that are made of wool fiber.  

If you are looking for a DK acrylic, Stylecraft Special DK is very nice and comes in a big array of colors. it is smooth and not fuzzy.  I would suggest you get a fairly light color that you like for practicing.  You can get it from Deramores, for one.  if you want several colors, their "color packs" are fun because the colors are really well coordinated.  

just had another thought...as you are reading here and looking at patterns online and in books or magazines, remember that in the English language we have 2 different systems of stitch names.  one in used in the UK and Australia and the other is used in the US.  here is a reference http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

edit to add:  as you look at patterns you will find some that use symbols to show the stitches.  the symbols are "universal" and stand for how the stitch is made, not the name of the stitch, so are easy to use for people in both the UK and US.  here is a list http://bynumber19.com/2011/11/13/crochet-terms-in-us-uk-danish-and-german/

example of a symbol pattern https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=708&type_id=S&source=kcnow&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=knitandcrochetnow

and I apologize for throwing extra info at you, but it may come in handy!  

I saw the price and raised an eyebrow, but it's only 75 meters per skein.  Still, I did some math comparing that to our US prices for bargain acrylic and that's a great deal!  Only thing, I think it would make me crazy changing yarn every 75 yards to make a blanket, even a small baby sized one.  Lots of ends to weave in!

It's too bad it's fluffy, it's hard to tell in the photo. I wish I could recommend brands specific to your area, but I'm in the US.

Have you tried using a larger hook than the pattern calls for?  Many new crocheters crochet tightly when they start out; I did, and I realized I was forming the stitches too close to the 'throat' of the hook; once I adapted to working the stitches past the throat and used the shank of the hook to size the stitches, it made crocheting a lot easier.  A lot of really fluffy yarns are actually classed as heavier weights than they 'look', and recommend much larger hooks than you'd think they'd need, because of the yarn's 'halo'.  With looser stitches you may have fewer problems with the yarn splitting, which sounds like may be your problem.

Another thing that comes to mind...in the US we have 2 major hook brands, Boye and Bates, and the hook shapes are different.  See the pic below, the gold one is Bates and the blue one is an ancient Boye - the Boye shape is the same in modern ones, but the modern ones are more rounded at the sides.  The Bates is basically a cylinder with a slash in it, a very broad hook face.  The Boye hook end is narrower and more sculpted, with a pointier hook 'nose'.  I will probably start a little hook war here, because people often claim allegiance to one or the other, and claim the 'other' brand is impossible to work with......for me 1 brand works nicely and I can't seem to get the other to work without splitting the yarn all the time.  This might be an issue, too; not sure if you have these brands where you are but just so you are aware of different hook styles.

post-13625-0-49705400-1474238398_thumb.jpg

Archived