Finishing help.

ColoDarlin

Question

So I watched a video forever and a half ago on YouTube. Crochet crowd with Mikey. He was showing how you can make "an edge". Basically you single crochet x amount and when you turn over instead of stich in in the top... you flip your chain overy and work in the "spine". Totally looks cool but now I've done a blanket and need to finish it to match the other edge... sigh.. anyone know how to make the edges match? Ooo I forgot, I was using double crochet if that's important. TIA for any suggestions

It is sometimes hard to get into that back bump so it can be fiddly to do.  the usual way of working into a chain seems fine to me and is normally easier to do., so that's what i mainly do.  

if you used a bigger hook for your beginning chain, that could account for some of the appearance...tho I would think the back might also look bigger in that case.  it does seem to be a mystery!  

So...I may have to pick up some yarn and look at the orientation of the chain row but...I do know when you are crocheting a row of regular stitches, the stitch tops of the current row's stitches tip toward you.  If your're half way across the row, the tops of the row below, that you work into, tip slightly to the back.  It just IS, not sure if it might be more pronounced in one person's technique versus another's.  

edit...just did an experiment, with 1 row into the back bump of a chain -- the chain row is pretty straight, I can't tell if it's tilting at all, looking back and front.  The top of the stitches into the chain are tilting at the same degree your pics are showing.

I don't know of a way to fix that tilt.

The thing is, there are 2 other ways that you can make a stitch into a chain.  Both involve the chain side facing you.  Neither of them look ghastly, but they also don't look very much like the tops of the stitches.  

1 - using the top loop only

2 - using the top loop + the back bump, leaving the bottom loop unused.

The back bump into the chain with the tilt at the top is the closest you're going to get (that I know of) to match the top and the bottom - both look like chains, the other 2 methods the tops don't look like chains.

I think the color change in the yarn is giving me an optical illusion. Is the whole thing made with two strands?

The front view looks like the chains are quite large, but back view looks like the chs are proportional....I don't understand that since it's the same row.

when you are in the reply box, you have a button "more reply options".  click on that and you will see a heading "attach files" and a button "choose files", click on that and i think it is pretty self explanatory from there.  

another thought re the beginning looking thicker....there could be subtle difference between the first skein of yarn you used vs. the last skein you used.  even with the exact same yarn, esp. if the color is different.  the first skein could be a smidge heavier than the last.  

can you take a clear closeup photo of a section of the foundation row, from both the front and back?  that would help to know what may be going on.

again, if you haven't already, i would launder it before i decided there's a problem, because that can help the stitches "settle" and even out.  

this blog has some pics, http://www.fiberfluxblog.com/2015/10/how-to-crochet-into-back-bump-of-chain.html

in the second one you can see how the top edge looks like the bottom.  that's the idea behind the technique.  

I'd probably wash/dry it , and see how it looks after that.  

Hi Magic! :hi  I hate autocorrect too, once I typed Boho or Bohemian and it corrected it to Bosnian...nooooo...

Op, don't the tops of the first row of DCs that you made look like the underside of the chain?  They should....

If you're expecting the sides to look the same, they won't, unless you put a border around all 4 sides when you're done.

I hate autocorrect! Am trying to get my iPad autocorrect or "suggestions" of words, whatever that is called, to work with me instead of against me, but I may just have to turn it off!

Ok, so the spine of the chain I understand. Let me see what I can find re that.

So, when you make your first row into the 'spine' of the chain, the underside looks like the top of the chain - which is the same as the top of other stitches look.  Perhaps what you were remembering is that to make the top and bottom edges look the same, you need to start into the 'spine', and the end takes care of itself.  So, you should be good?  By the way, usually the 'spine' is described in patterns as the 'back bump'.

I think you have some terms mixed up.  sc is a stitch, chain is a stich, there is not a stitch called "sc chain" and you can't sc a chain.

unless you mean that you did a foundation sc....?  http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/43642.html

Archived