Tapestry Crochet?

SammieLily2

Question

Hey all, it's been a while!

I've started crocheting a ton again recently, since my life has slowed down again. I've been working on this pattern for a long time; I had originally wanted to make it into a sweater. Since I returned to it, I've ripped it once more and have settled for making a blanket out of it.

So, tapestry crochet. That's how I'm making this blanket, and I've got my pattern all done and everything. I was wondering, who else has done tapestry crochet? Do you have any tips? What's the best way to do it (alternating hands so the work is always facing front, turning after every row, FO after every row and attach yarn)?

​I've tried turning each row, but that's proven messy for me. Considering the blanket is 141 stitches wide and 165 rows tall, alternating hands isn't exactly favorable. But I'm running into yet another problem with this project, now that I've started a second row of working color: it's starting to slant! I understand that crochet stitches, when always worked on one side, will slant (mainly / / /), but this looks quite extreme. Is there any remedy to this, or will I need to just make do?

Thank you! (If you need any pictures and/or would like to see the section of pattern I'm working on now, let me know!)

2 answers to this question

The link in Redrosesdz's post has a video about working flat; watch it all the way through.  The first half has you switching hands, which I think would fry my old brain as I'm not very ambidextrous.  The second half has another method, which is sort of like purling in knitting.  

Knitting has 2 stitches, basically:  (1) a knit stitch, made (like crochet) with the working yarn held in back of the fabric.  (2) a purl stitch, which is the reverse of a knit; it is made with the working yarn held in front of the fabric.  When you knit 1 row and purl the next row, the fabric looks like all knits on 1 side, and all purls on the other.

Caveat:  I have not tried this yet, but I do knit, and it's on my list to try some day.  I think it would be easier to get the hang of.

Archived