Going above the back loop only

Opisthenar

Question

Crochet newbie here, attempting to make my second hat. The first bunch of rows is back loop only, forming a sort of stretchy ribbed bit at the base of the hat. I've done that fine, but am finding it stupidly difficult to figure out where the stitches are supposed to go above. There seems to be two gaps of different sizes in each of my last back loop stitches, but regardless of whether I stitch in both or just one it ends up uneven with different sized stitches and looking like a general mess.

I don't have a working camera right now to take a photo of my attempt thus far, but I've included a link to the pattern below. Despite spending ages zoomed in on the picture on the pattern of where they've joined the double crochets to the back loops, I've not been able to work out where I put the hook in.

Link to pattern: http://www.allaboutami.com/post/98723324906/cabledslouchybeanie

5 answers to this question

So, you have a length of ribbing, each rib is made up of 2 rows of sc.  The pattern said 75 rows, which is an odd number and sort of odd (peculiar) for sewing together, I'd have done an even number so the ends match better--odd number= /\/\/, even number= /\/\/\.

The number of DCs she is telling you to put along the side is 72.  (Note - this is true if your gauge, and your head, is the same as the designer; you may have to make changes to fit your head, but I'm going with these numbers).  This is 3 fewer stitches than 75.  What I'd be inclined to do is put a stitch into each row end, but in 3 spots evenly spaced around, make a decrease (DC 2 stitches together).  The alternative would be to skip 3 row ends, but I think using up all the row ends, and discreetly decreasing, would look better.

Each of the 2 row ends at the side of 1 rib will look a little different.  Working into row ends is a little tough, because they aren't as neat and tidy as stitch tops, and there's no hard and fast rule about how to go about it.  Take a close look, choose which threads to place your stitches into and decide what looks best to you.  Then, use the same set of end threads for each rib--the idea is to be consistent,which will look the neatest..

Welcome to Crochetville!

A cable project is pretty ambitious for a newbie.  It's more of an intermediate project.  Projects range from Beginner to Easy to Intermediate to Difficult.  I always recommend staying within a range, until you feel like you've very comfortable with that range and ready to move on.

Having said that, the issue is not with the back loops.  The issue is with crocheting into the end of rows.  Have you ever put a border on anything?  If yes, this is just like when you crocheted along the sides for the border. There is a lot of advice about how to cleanly crochet into a side edge.  Here's one ...

http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-finish-technique-crochet-evenly-around/

If you google "crochet along side edge", you'll see more, in case the one above isn't helpful.

:waving @ GS!

Fantastic, thanks for the help guys! I gave it another go as per your suggestions, and it worked a charm! I am aware the hat's a bit above my level, but it just looked so darn nice I had to give it a go :D I feel like a bit of an fool - I've spent the last few days Googling about the back loop only, and never realised it was just going along a side edge in general. Thanks again for the great advice. 

Archived