First Granny Stripe Blanket

jade93

Question

I started my first granny stripe blanket, and I'm several rows in, and I'm noticing mistakes...should I scrap it and start over? Can I reuse the yarn from it? 

Also I'm using a yarn that's 85% Acrylic / 15% Nylon is that okay for a blanket? 

ETA: Just realizing my mistake, I'm making a granny STRIPE blanket, not square O.O

8 answers to this question

Are you making a great big granny square, as apposed to little squares sewn together?  The tops of crochet stitches are slightly offset from the stitch 'bodies'.  When you make something in rows, turning each row, the stitches' offset cancel each other out.  When you make something in the round, same side facing, the skew compounds, and stitches seem to tilt (example if you are making a tube, like a hat) or sort of gently 'swirl' if you make a granny square.  The skew isn't vary apparent on little granny squares, but it compounds and shows up when you make one big square.  If you turn each round (which few granny patterns tell you to do), the stitch offset/swirl goes away.

Somewhere I have a pic showing that, I'll have to find it to show you what I mean... 

Here is what I meant about the stitch offset.  I used a really tall stitch, which exaggerates the effect.  You can see the lean, and if you look closely, you can see the stitch in the top row is a little to the side of the stitch below it.

This little sample was turned, so the lean in 1 direction is cancelled by the next row's lean in the other direction.  If this were made in the round, same side facing, all rounds would tilt in the same direction. 

post-13625-0-73920700-1470687481_thumb.jpg

Ah, whole different thing, then, sorry I missed that you said granny stripe in the first post.  How many rows do you have so far?  I've seen that happen after 1, maybe 2 rows, but usually SC rather than a DC pattern...it should hopefully start behaving soon.  

Seconding the motion that if you could post a pic of what's happening, we'd have a better idea in case it's something else.  What comes to mind is accidentally increasing, or the tension being tight.

oh no I fixed my typo, it was granny square! but I meant stripe, because I thought everyone was talking about the granny stripe I scraped it...or unraveled it to start over! I hope that was okay...but if it does start twisting again I'll put up some pictures

yes the first attempted blanket had mistakes, in some clusters I forgot to chain three 

Archived