Re: Treble (uk) Crochet

Jacqueline Panter

Question

7 answers to this question

It sounds like you're fairly new to crocheting.  Everyone's tension is different.  You need to find what your tension is.  When you find it, your stitches will be very even while you're going fairly fast.  It's what's most natural to you.  The only way to find it is a LOT of practice.

Here's a short article that really helped me a lot ...

https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Welcome from me too!

Filet is kind of a special beast, as the traditional method uses firm cotton thread done at a fairly tight tension. Stitch height is also important to making the geometry consistent; the link RedRoses gave will help with that if needed. The specific filet pattern you use makes a difference too, as the blocks can contain different numbers of stitches. If you want more thoughts on filet, let us know what pattern and thread you used, and there too a photo would be really helpful.

Re the photo you posted, it looks fine to me too. But remember the suggested hook size is just a suggestion. It is ok to change it a lot if you want to. Also yarns vary a lot even within one category, and even different colors of the same brand can be thinner. Laundering can also help a piece look more settled as the stitches kind of relax.

A second vote for 'the tension in your pic looks great'.

Filet is something I probably would personally avoid working in anything but thread or maybe really fine yarn; I've even seen antique filet baby blanket patterns worked in thread.  It just looks too 'pixilated' when you use larger yarn.  Even at that, a lot of antique filet doily patterns used thread that was much smaller than the typical #10 size we use today.

The way I gauge my tension versus 'average' is to check it against a pattern's given tension.  It's not 100% scientific, because designers are human and have different tensions too, but I'm pretty typically in a certain 'spot' when comparing my tension to a pattern. Pick a couple of patterns in a simple stitch and make tension swatches with some scrap yarn of the same weight and hook and see how you measure up.

Also keep in mind, if you are using the recommended yarn, if you stray TOO far in your hook size, you might end up with an undesirably tight or loose fabric. (3.5 versus 4 mm though, is no biggie).

Are you thinking of making a filet blanket (since your photo looks like worsted or maybe DK weight)?  Like this for example in US worsted/8 ply UK--whick looks "OK", but rather pixilated, especially close up?  You might try it with a finer yarn and smaller hook appropriate for the yarn; the blanket would be smaller, but you could add more repeats to make it the size you want (after swatching...).  Note, after figuring out how many chains you need for a bigger blanket, chain a few more just in case; you can pick out the extra chains later.  As an illustration, look at this blanket made with sport/5 ply; the pattern is more defined, but notice it's also photographed from several feet away.

Oh, dear, just about to hit send and there you are -- Hi Magic! :hi

Archived