I'm baaack

tlazer

Question

I have decided to undertake the dreaded,CHEVRON stitch.

Well, for me anyway.

The pattern says, DC in the second stitch from the hook.

Just where is the second chain. For some reason I panic and doubt what I am doing.

So is the second chain in picture one or two. The silver hook is there just to show the chain.

post-78005-0-84761000-1468948154_thumb.jpeg

post-78005-0-59549900-1468948304_thumb.jpeg

16 answers to this question

I've been crocheting for decades and have had the same problem with ripples/chevrons.  On the last one, (for grandnephew, so must have been just 3 years ago) I had to rip back over a foot of rows--twice, in different spots--because I didn't catch the 'drift' right away.  

I didn't take my own advice to use stitch markers.  

i also didn't take my own advise to stop and "admire" my work often to make sure everything was OK.

Yes, I broke out the bobby pin markers after the second rip-out, and all was well after that.  Give it another try  :yes

what kind of yarn are you using?  the best yarn for seeing stitches easily is one that's smooth and not a very dark color, and one single color not multicolored.  

I'm tellin you it's me!! LOL . just me. I'm using Caron in pink can't get easier than that , I'm hopeless lol 

in your first post you typed "dc" but the pattern is sc....just mentioning that in case it's helpful.

Like Granny Square, I often have problems with ripple patterns.  Additionally, I have problems with anything that involves rows of sc, because I have a hard time distinguishing the last stitch of the row.  I would suggest you try a pattern that uses dc instead of sc, I think it is much easier to see and count the stitches.  Also you might look for a pattern that has a  stitch diagram--- that will make it easier to visualize what to do.  

Yes that was a typo sc is correct. It's just me can't distinguish either the 1st or 2nd st from the hook. too hard to see 

I've been crocheting for decades and have had the same problem with ripples/chevrons.  On the last one, (for grandnephew, so must have been just 3 years ago) I had to rip back over a foot of rows--twice, in different spots--because I didn't catch the 'drift' right away.  

I didn't take my own advice to use stitch markers.  

i also didn't take my own advise to stop and "admire" my work often to make sure everything was OK.

Yes, I broke out the bobby pin markers after the second rip-out, and all was well after that.  Give it another try   :yes

I wasn't discouraged in the least, I say I will give up but I never do. My problem is  distinguishing the 2nd or 1st stitch from the hook, just hard to see

That's a good point, US DC patterns are more open, looser, so will be easier to see the stitches and also 'go faster' too.

I didn't mean to discourage you by the way...chevrons are not hard, you just need to pay attention to keep count.  Also...they are a little weird (harder to see the ripple) when you only have 1-2 rows done, the ripples start to show up better after a few more rows.

in your first post you typed "dc" but the pattern is sc....just mentioning that in case it's helpful.

Like Granny Square, I often have problems with ripple patterns.  Additionally, I have problems with anything that involves rows of sc, because I have a hard time distinguishing the last stitch of the row.  I would suggest you try a pattern that uses dc instead of sc, I think it is much easier to see and count the stitches.  Also you might look for a pattern that has a  stitch diagram--- that will make it easier to visualize what to do.  

I give up ! For the life of me I cannot do a Chevron blanket because, I cannot keep the stitching consistent meaning,everything lines up then somewhere along the line it does not line up.  

Are you in the UK?  Or in the US?  Because this seems to be in UK terms...a US pattern would put a US DC into the FOURTH chain from the hook.  A US SC would use the second chain from the hook.  Just wanted to point this out if you are in the US.

I'm in the US and there is no indication that its UK

Are you in the UK?  Or in the US?  Because this seems to be in UK terms...a US pattern would put a US DC into the FOURTH chain from the hook.  A US SC would use the second chain from the hook.  Just wanted to point this out if you are in the US.

Archived