Confused on the Chevron Stitch

Dina Rizuto Felker

Question

*dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*

Am I understanding this correctly.. I know I do the dc in 3 stitches, then I do dc3tog (now do I repeat that segment another time? or just the dc3tog (where it says 2 times)? Then I do dc in 3 stitches,  and I know I do 3dc in the next stitch. its the 2 times I guess that is messing me up.

Can someone help me.

Thanks

Dinamari

10 answers to this question

A more drawn-out way of saying "*dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*"

dc in the next stitch

dc in the next stitch

dc in the next stitch

over the next 3 stitches, dc those 3 stitches together

over the next 3 stitches, dc those 3 stitches together   

dc in the next stitch

dc in the next stitch

dc in the next stitch

make 3 dcs in the next stitch

make 3 dcs in the next stitch    

The red lines are the valley; the blue lines are the hilltop.  The other stitches are the hillsides.

The red valley instructions turn 6 stitches into 2 stitches (loss of 4 stitches)

The blue hilltop instructions turn 2 stitches into 6 stitches (gain of 4 stitches)

There's no NET gain/loss of stitches in each group of valley>hillside>hilltop>hillside stitches.

A suggestion, it might help to put a stitch marker in the center of each hilltop and valley to keep you oriented, then move the marker up as you make a new row.  Ripples are easy to lose count and the hills start to drift.  Bobby pins are my favorite markers and are inexpensive and don't snag, you could also use safety pins or bent paper clips.

Archived