Adding the sleeves...

Sockmad

Question

...to the BICO sweater my math isn't coming out right.  I know this is supposed to be a simple sweater and was all the rage a few years ago,but this is my first one.  I'm just not understanding how when you chain out 17 and you already have 28 stitches that the final tally is supposed to be 62 not 42,  Am I missing something completely?  Has anybody done a video of how to make this sweater?  The baby is due soon I want her to be warm this Winter.  It's for a friend's baby.

9 answers to this question

If it was  for both sleeves you would probably be ading a chain at both ends. One way is like this do the 17 chain then work across the 28 stitches already done, then ch 17 and work back across that then the 28 stitches and then work the stitches in the chain done first for 62 .

You would think that but the pattern says for right sleeve than further down it says left sleeve.  I really wish there was a YouTube video for this,but I haven't been able to find one.

Where are you viewing the pattern? On CrochetMe, it says to ch 17, then work across the 28 sts, then ch 18 one of which is the turning ch. then you hdc across all that, and then it gives the st count of 62 (eta, exactly as Sarisue described)

Heres the link http://www.crochetme.com/all-free-member-patterns/baby-its-cold-outside-free-baby-crochet-sweater

You do have to be signed to see it

It looks to me that after you have finished the back row 20  for the next part starting  row 21 you will be starting  the right front, only doing enough stitches for that side leaving the left front side stitches unworked and just doing the right front. So further down where it says for the left sleeve you will be starting that left front side in the unworked stitches and doing that side last.

Thanks ladies I did figure it out,but then when I did the left side I started in the wrong place,so now I am semi-patiently frogging (I am using Lion Brand Landscapes yarn as I HATE Homespun) it's not an easy yarn to undo.

Mine is not a true BICO but I like it,instead of an offset sweater mine meets in the middle I used a self striping yarn and even managed to match the striping on each side.

Thats great.  I think the pattern was a little confusing and could have had a better explanation of what each part was doing. 

Archived