Pattern reading help

Joey2011

Question

Hi I Havnt introduced myself yet but need help reading a pattern.

Its for a baby onesie. 

Pattern reads "Continue to work in rows of tr ( rep last row), inc 1 tr at each end of 3rd and every foll alt row to 68 tr."

I'm trying to understand it. I know all the terminology but its just not making any sense. 68 tr is half way through a second row though and so then it's not alternate rows then.

Just wondering if you are able to help me.

Thanks in advance.

17 answers to this question

Hi. Just wanted to update you on where I have got to. I have done one leg. Thanks to your help hopefully the other one won't taken as long. I also got bad thumb cramp so stopped for a bit.

Anyway picture was easier to see on my leg ????

post-78014-0-35540600-1468779746_thumb.jpg

Thanks granny square you make it make more sense to me ☺.

Just to make sure I am getting this bit right.

It says for 1st 2nd and 4th sizes only.

Then next paragraph it says for 2nd size only.

And then finally for all sizes.

As I am doing 2nd size I take it I do all 3 paragraphs. X

I think it was worded this way on purpose.  If a pattern said, "blah blah, miss 2 stitches, blah blah", and the missed stitches were in the middle of the row, it makes sense, because there is an action for you to take after missing the 2 stitches.  To me, the way your pattern is written makes sense because you aren't doing anything with (or after) those 2 stitches at the end of the row.  The 'turn' is the last action for you to do.  Telling you that "oh by the way, by making 131 stitches and turning, you've missed the last 2 stitches" makes sense to mention at the end, for information only, because it's not an 'action' for the row.

Hi Sarisue, I guess I'm playing post tag with you now ;)

It seems that different designers have their own way of puting things sometimes. When I started mega years ago the patterns were much simplier and we had to figure things out ourselves alot of times. I think when you get more projects done you will also be able to understand the different ways too.

You leave the last 2 unworked before you turn. Count your stitches and if you have the 132 you are right. You will have missed 2 in the beg by slip stitching and now 2 at the end. those stitches will be left unworked.

Right next thing in stuck with. The next thing is so simple I just don't get it!

Front opening.

Next row (rs): ss into first 3tr, 3ch(counts as 1tr) 1tr into each of next 131 tr, turn, missing last 2tr. 132 tr.

Work 1 row.

It's the: turn, missing last 2tr. 132tr. I'm confused about.

Missing last 2 as in the actual last 2 or missing last 2 as in first 2 as I've turned?

Why am I so confused by this???

Thanks you have been a big help.

It started to look like a cone of shame :P made me then double check the pattern and realised I had got it wrong. It's my first time I have have ever made clothes. Have made a bag and some squares before this. So have taken on quite a challenge! Especially as I want to make it for my sister in laws baby which is due 25th August!

Will let you know how it goes :)

Yay, glad it made sense, sorry it took a few readings.  Yes, you are only increasing at both ends of the indicated row, both ends meaning at the beginning and end of the row.  This is a common way to shape a clothing piece that's meant to lie flat; if you make multiple increases in the middle of the row the piece would flare instead (which might be desirable for a skirt or yoke for example).  The pattern's saying that there are 48 stitches at the end of row 2, and 68 after all the increases, is a count of the total stitches of the row.

The first increase is at the third row after row 3, so would be in row 6.  After that, it's in "every following alternate row", which I interpret as a UK way of saying "every other row" (no-increase row, increase row, repeat).  Actually the UK way is more precise, it just sounds a little different to my ears :)

Yeah I am in the u.k and I am doing u.k tr after some intial confusion on the dc :) (I learnt from an American on you tube)

Im doing it to the second number so 3-6mths, 

So I am increasing at each end of the 3rd row only? I think I get you, so the tr im counting to 68 is the ones at each end? not every tr in between?

Right time to undo everything I have done :( I thought I had it sussed! 

Thanks for your reply. 

"Continue to work in rows of tr ( rep last row), inc 1 tr at each end of 3rd and every foll alt row to 68 tr."

I'm reading this to increase the designated following row ends only, it doesn't say every third and alternate stitch in the next row.  

Your pattern has 48 stitches at the end of row 2 (I assume you are working the second or third size, since those end up with 68 after the increases).  In row 3, you are working even, so you have the same number; it is after row 3 that has the instruction you are questioning.  So, after row 3, work even for row 4 & 5, increase in row 6, then every alternate row which would be even rows in the real pattern.

So if you are starting with the right number of stitches after row 3, here is where you should end up 

Row > stitch count  (ignoring odd rows after row 5, since no increases so same count as the row before)

2, 3, 4 &5 > 48

6 > 50

8 > 52

10 > 54

12 > 56

14 > 58

16 > 60

18 > 62

20 > 64

22 > 66

24 > 68

Hope this makes sense?

Are you in the U.K.?  This pattern is written in U.K. English.  Are you making triple crochets in British or American?

Thanks for replying.

Yeah its a dmc pattern.

http://www.dmccreative.co.uk/Products/Crochet-Collection/Children-and-babies-Fashion.aspx?technique=crochet 

Pattern number 15208L/2.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/joey_2005/13621604_10157147660605300_1195772385_o_zpskk9sbgg5.jpg

13621604_10157147660605300_1195772385_o_

I was a little off on previous row by about 3 tr stitches. Which I really dont knw how as I have the right amount of stitches in the previous row. But it would still be in the middle...

I read it as every 3 tr inc by 1tr so would go IIIVIIIVIIIV if you get me? for a row then a row of normal tr.

After 68 tr it says to carry on till 20cm or tr well you can hopefully see the pattern above.

Hello and welcome to the 'ville!

Is the pattern a free one on the 'net that you could paste a link to? If not, can you tell us the name of the pattern and what book/magazine it's in (seeing the pattern or at least a pic of the finished thing, might help us, just don't paste the pattern itself here--a link is OK)  What are you making, and what part of the thing are you at right now? 

I'm assuming you've just finished a row with less than 68 tr--let's say row 10 is the just finished row.  Typically then I'd interpret your instructions to mean you'd increase in row 13, 15, 17 and so on until some row ended in 68 stitches.  But you're saying that would be in the middle of a row - is there an instruction to then stop there (after 68 stitches have been made in a future row) and do something else in the middle of the row?  Hopefully "68" is not a typo...

Archived