Blocking question

ratdog

Question

I finished the main body of a filet crochet piece. Do i block it and then add a boarder or add the boarder and the block it?

I have never done filet before, it is about 12x15" Rectangle.

post-23494-0-25966400-1465087485_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

ratdog I do BOTH. I find myself blocking doilies and filets before I'm done with them, just so they won't be all scrunched or get twisted when I am trying to finish them I started doing this when I stupidly accidently created a "Mobius infinity doily" making Empire Luncheon Set ps- very cute vintage pattern  my sister is commissioning me to make- AND I have some 100%  linen from an old unworn dress from the thrift store for the inserts! Yay!) . You won't hurt it to block it twice, but are you using pins to pin it in place when you block? They aren't completely necessary, but you'll need to if you want it to be blocked in a certain shape.

I have a neat trick I made up to help in blocking round doilies (I know yours is a rectangle) I use a basketball! I wet the doily and spread it out on a clean basketball so the gravity pulls out the rounds naturally. MUCh easier and a cleaner result than trying to lay it flat with a thousand pins, and it never does seem to get into a perfect shape unless I use the ball. After it's mostly dried, I then spread it out onto a flat surface and pin if I NEED to.

I also use Epsom Salts for fabric stiffener, its cheaper and something I already have in the house instead of having to buy stiffener. There's no set recipe, but I use a small small container with water and about a 3rd part Epsom Salts, slush the doily around in it then gently squeeze out the excess, then pin or lay it to dry.

if anyone wants the pattern I am making- and I hope to post photos today, its http://freevintagecrochet.com/doily-patterns/spool67/empire-luncheon-set-pattern

Archived