Hook help?

Jessie Pie

Question

8 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

when I crochet, my pinky fingers do very little, so I don't think i have ever had a cramp in them.  

How do you hold the yarn and hook?  What type/brand of hook, and yarn, are you using?  

also, your title is "hook help", did you have a question about hooks?  

Well, if the way you are holding the hook or yarn is causing you pain, thenit could be the wrong way for you.  Other than that, it's all individual preference really , so no way is really wrong.  

this page shows 3 popular holds https://books.google.com/books?id=POlTdxr4C2EC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=crochet+%22chopstick+hold%22&source=bl&ots=pOESTCztH8&sig=P3OXgC1Bm7lD66sqAVclbEOMpIw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAwIi-oY_NAhUMQFIKHaB4CTwQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=crochet%20%22chopstick%20hold%22&f=false

Is any of those the way you hold the hook?  

First off there is no right or wrong way to hold a hook.  It is what you are comfortable with.  There are usually 2 ways.  One is like a pencil and the other is like a fork?  Any way one covers the hook and the other is explainable. 

You made need an ego hook or one with a wood handle.

Welcome to the ville and hope I could help a little.

If you hold your hook in a knife/overhand way per the above link, there are hook handles that are supposed to help  (I don't hold my hook this way so this is second-hand advice)

If you hold your hook like a pencil, padded handles help a little bit.  You can also buy pads that slip over existing hooks.  There's also some you-tube 'hacks' for making these from pencil grips, I haven't tried that yet.  For tiny doily thread work, I have a set of steel hook tips that fit into a larger handle, which helps.

Sometimes...you just have to listen to you body and give it a rest.  The older I get, the more I have to ration my crochet time in one sitting...sigh.  

Looks like overhand, with a real death grip with you little and ring finger, no wonder they're numb.  Maybe that first thing I linked would help you, those fingers would be more open around the wide end, instead of clenched around a skinny hook.

I'm trying to think what would work without sliding off, to test this by wrapping something around the end of your hook to make it a lot fatter but not much heavier - just to see if it feels better for a short stretch, before you go out and buy that handle.

I've seen some folks recommend forming polymer clay around the handle for comfort.

Archived