not sure if i'm doing this right

christy81

Question

Hi.  I feel like I'm going to be asking a lot of questions on here.  I joined this forum a few days ago and have got great advice so far.  I have changed my yarn to red heart super saver and am noticing a difference in the crocheting already. I am teaching myself and am running into trouble with the single crochet.  In the book i'm using to teach me-crochet step by step- my stitch isn't looking the same.  I made a foundation chain and I did my first row of single crochets.  I followed the instructions but not sure if I did it right.  Why does mine look squished while the picture looks more open?  Also as I've finished my first row of single crochets how do I start my second row of single crochets?  It says to inset the hook under both legs of the "V" of the stitch.  Does that mean that I put it through both loops that made the stitch?  I also find that I have a hard time keeping the tension the same when doing all the stitches.  Any suggestions?  Sorry for all the questions. 

post-77625-0-70803700-1462923652_thumb.jpg

post-77625-0-72885300-1462923697_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

I think i said this in a previous thread, but I wonder if you are making single crochets or slip sttiches.  the stitches look very short to me.

here is a video that may help, from Kim Guzman, a teacher and designer 

that is right-handed, there is a left-hand version too.

When you were practicing with the variegated yarn, someone mentioned that you might be doing a slip stitch, instead of a single crochet.  It was difficult to tell with that yarn and the angle of your picture.  This one is much clearer.  You're doing a slip stitch.

Here are the instructions, so you can see in words the difference between the 2 stitches ...

Slip Stitch (ss or sl st):

• Insert your hook in the top of the previous row's stitch or foundation chain
  • Yarn over and pull through the stitch and the loop on your hook (1 loop left on your hook)

Single Crochet (sc):

• Insert your hook in the top of the previous row's stitch or foundation chain
  • Yarn over and pull through the stitch (2 loops left on your hook)
  • Yarn over and pull through two loops (1 loop left on your hook)

When you get to the end of the row, do 1 chain.  Now turn your work.  To turn, hold your hook, move the work you've done counter-clockwise until it's on the left, instead of the right.  The last stitch that you did on the previous row becomes the foundation for the first stitch on the next row.  Look at the stitches.  The tops look like a row of >>>>>>>.  Your first stitch in row 2 is going to be in the first >. 

Does this help?  If not, please let us know where you're lost.  It's hard to tell when the light bulb will go off for someone.

ETA: :waving @ Kathy.  Great idea on the video insert!  Wish I had thought of that.  LOL

Hey Sharon :waving It's pretty cool that videos just come up in the post like that....i was surprised the first time i did it....expected it to just show a link.

I think Kim G's videos are very clear so hope it helps.

Great advice above.  You mentioned having trouble keeping the tension even, I think this is common to newbies, it takes practice.

One thing I discovered looooong ago when I was new at crochet, is that I was forming my stitches really close to the tip/throat of the hook, and they were rather tight.  I had to teach myself to push the yarn further up the shaft to the wide part, which helps keep the stitches more consistent.  After all, hook shafts come in different sizes to make different (and consistent) sized stitches.

Another thing about the chain, there is more than 1 way to work into the chain--three that I know of.  Take a look at the video at the very bottom of this page, it explains and names the 3 parts of the foundation chain.  Then, click the link at the bottom of the page to 'getting started part 3', it's not a video but text that explains the 3 ways to stick your hook into the chain to make a stitch.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/getting_started2.html

I was taught method 2, inserting the hook into the top loop only, and used it until I discovered other ways via the internet.  I still use it most of the time, and I think I'd teach it that way as well, for starting out, then teach method 3 later.   

Method 2: may subjective since it's my preferred method but it seems quicker; does not match the top edge (and to your concern, looks 'thinner'); and is the same tension as the fabric.

Method 3: matches the top edge; (may be) slightly slower; pulls the chain edge tighter than the fabric.  You can mitigate tightness by using a bigger hook for the chain and switching to the 'right' size for the fabric.

There is also something called chainless foundation rows, or 'foundation stitches'.  Just mentioning it FYI, because this is not a universal substitute (some stitch patterns won't work right with it) and it's something to check out after you have a few projects under your belt.

Archived