Hi! Back again with another question

Tomit316

Question

I'm making an afghan now. The pattern goes as follows: Row 2: Turn. Ch 2. 2 dcs in first dc, *dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*; repeat from * to * across, ending with 3 dcs in turning ch.

My question is Should all the rows come out in the same spot on the pattern as the previous row? Example: I have one row that next to last stitch ends with Dc3tog and then the three dc in turning chain. Then my next row my maybe 3dcs in same stitch then the three dc in turning chain.

I may not be explaining like I should but it's the best way I know to ask. It looks ok, I guess. Someone told me I should be skipping a stitch and that would make it all come out the same but I don't know where I would skip the stitch. Can you advise?

7 answers to this question

Often stitch patterns will sit in a staggered way in rows one on top of the other...like this

V-V-V-V-V

-V-V-V-V-

As opposed to this

V-V-V-V-V

V-V-V-V-V

Sometimes, staggered or not, they'll have a different stitch at each end of the row, to keep the edges even.

If you're making an afghan (presumably a rectangle) , the only 'rule' is that the number of stitches should be the same overall so that the sides are straight.  Example, your DC3tog 'cancels out' the 3 DC in 1 stitch.

edit - as long as no one answers your duplicate post, you should be able to delete it.  Not sure if this site looks the same on phones or not, but under any post I've created I can see an option to edit or delete the post.  I believe if the first (and only) post is deleted, the thread is too.  

Is the pattern online?  If yes, what's the link to the picture or pattern?  If not, what's the name of the pattern and the book?

It would help to see the instructions for row 3.  The reason I say that is because Granny Square is right.  Some patterns have the same stitches on top of each other and some have the patterns alternate.  Seeing 2 rows of instructions will allow someone to answer which one your pattern is doing.

I'm making an afghan now. The pattern goes as follows: Row 2: Turn. Ch 2. 2 dcs in first dc, *dc in each of the next 3 stitches, dc3tog 2 times, dc in each of the next 3 stitches, (3 dcs in next st) 2 times*; repeat from * to * across, ending with 3 dcs in turning ch.

My question is Should all the rows come out in the same spot on the pattern as the previous row? Example: I have one row that next to last stitch ends with Dc3tog and then the three dc in turning chain. Then my next row my maybe 3dcs in same stitch then the three dc in turning chain.

I may not be explaining like I should but it's the best way I know to ask. It looks ok, I guess. Someone told me I should be skipping a stitch and that would make it all come out the same but I don't know where I would skip the stitch. Can you advise?

Looks to me like it is a Ripple Afghan.

Both ends will be exactly the same, just different instructions because you start with CH 2 which stands as first DC.

Row 1 is different because it is worked onto the Chain and not into stitches.

Colleen

PS, I read the question wrong so had to redo my reply.

Oops! Not a good start on returning after being gone for a while.

Ahhh, I think I misread the OP's question.  I focused on 'should all rows come out on the same spot on the pattern as the previous row' and thought she meant that she was decreasing 3 right over a spot that she'd increased 3 in the previous row   (vaguely like a mini Catherine Wheel) not that she was putting decreases over decreases and increases over increases like a ripple.

PS welcome back Aggie May!

Archived