Double stitch - tooo tight

auntbubbels

Question

I am new to crochetting and this site. I started a blanket and completed more than half of it but found that the first row, although I started it loose, became very tight after crochetting a number of rows. The blanket doesnt lay flat. I find that when I am crochetting scarves, the same thing happens but its not as noticable because there are less stitches across.

I was going to do a granny square and just continue it and have that be the entire blanket. Any idea why my blankets first row becomes tight. it doesnt get tight right away. I hope I explained this and it make sense.

7 answers to this question

Hi, What's happening is that you are getting anxious as you crochet. Your hand starts pulling the hook and yarn tighter, so your gauge is off. You might also start slow and easy then go faster, pulling the stitches tighter. If you're a beginner, this is a common problem.

Tension must remain even, but this takes practice. Relax! Keep a cup of tea near by. Every so often, take a sip. This way, your hands can do alternate movement.

PaganBaby69

It could be that it is happening in the reverse for you. You are tense and anxious as you start, trying to make sure that everything is perfect, and as you go, you feel more comfortable with the pattern and your stitches become looser. The best thing to do if this happens regularly to you is to do practice swatches so that you are comfortable with the stitch before you even start the main project. You could also start with a slightly larger hook for the first 1-2 rows and then go down to the recommended hook size.

Make sure that your CHAIN is not too tight because if it is, it will make your crochet look like it is narrower at that edge.

The edge does not get tighter after you do more rows, it is the looser rows which make the start look like it is getting tighter.

Use a bigger hook just for the chain and that should overcome the problem.

You are probably getting looser as you go rather than tighter.

It is very normal to have tension problems when you are starting out so dont panic.

Maybe you could start out with a Granny Square pattern but not just one big one because that can have its own problems.

Make a series of 8 or 9 inch sguares and join enough to make the size blanket you want. If any of them look slightly bigger or smaller, you can just make sure you set them out so it does not matter, as long as you do the same number of rows in each square.

After you have done a few, you will see that your tension is getting better.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen.:hug

i started a new blanket and used a larger hook for the chain row and then continued with the smaller hook. i can see that the first row is getting tighter. i did about 5 rows but dont want to continue because I know if I continue, the same problem will occur.

i started but another blanket and used an N hook for the chain and then switched to a K. I am noticing that my stitches are getting looser. I am only on the third row so we shall see

practice, practice practice

Thank you for all your help. :cheer I used a larger hook for the chain and then a smaller one for the remainder of the blanket. I also paid more attention to my stitches. I am now making them more consistent and I just finished one skein and the blanket is lying flat. I was definately crochetting too lose before which made the first row become very tight and curl up.

Thanks again - I will post the blanket once its completed.

Archived