Beginner turning chain question

Pamela E

Question

I am very new to crochet and trying to make a simple rectangle cat pad. The pattern says chain 44 loosely. R -1 DC in 4th chain from hook and in each chain across.

Row2- Chain 3 (counts as first DC) turn, DC in next DC and in each DC across.

Question: If chain 3 counts as 1 DC do I add that to the 44 chains and chain 45? Each time I do a row I'm getting a different # of stitches - 41, 42, 43. Is there a specific rule for regarding chain stitches and chaining #'s?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help.

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

Just do exactly what the pattern says, do not make extra chains.  You should have 42 stitches.  You chain 44 and the first 3 chains represent one double crochet stitch.  that leave 41 chain stitches that you will make dc stitches into.  So your total # of stitches should be 42.  

It looks like your pattern has not included some important info:  since that chain 3 at the beginning of each row counts as a dc, you are supposed to make a stitch into the top of it as you work back across the row.  it can help to put a marker in the top of the chain3 as soon as you make it so that you don't overlook it.  you can use a short piece of yarn, a bobby pin, or a safety pin as a marker.

here is a tutorial about turning chains, why we need them and 2 different approaches.  http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-basics-understanding-turning-chains/

as she points out, when the turning chain counts as a stitch, you do not make another stitch into that first stitch which the turning chain arises out of.  thats why the pattern says "Chain 3 (counts as first DC) turn, DC in next DC"

Welcome to Crochetville!

Kathy explained it very well, but I'm just going to expand on it a bit.  Different stitches have different heights.  There is a set of guidelines for turning chains.  Some patterns assume that you know the guidelines and only tell you what to do when they want you do something different than standard.

Here's the list ...

SC - chain 1 for the turning chain.  The turning chain does not count as a stitch.  The first SC in a row is in the first stitch and the last SC is in the last stitch.  Ignore the turning chain.

HDC - chain 2 for the turning chain.  Sometimes the turning chain counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.  The pattern will tell you what to do.

DC - chain 2 or 3 for the turning chain.  The turning chain counts as a stitch.  The first DC in a row is in the second stitch and the last DC is in the top of the previous row's turning chain.

TR - chain 3 or 4 for the turning chain.  The turning chain counts as a stitch.  The first TR in a row is in the second stitch and the last TR is in the top of the previous row's turning chain.

Thank you, Sharon.  If I could clarify one thing, please.

In R-1 DC in the 4th chain from the hook. So that is just for that row and then in R-2, Since the "chain 3" counts as the first DC, I would skip the 4th chain from the hook?

Even tho patterns are in English, I seem to need someone to explain some things.

Thanks again.

Row 1 is made into the turning chain:  You make the first DC into the 4th chain.  Look at what you have at that point - 2 DC stitches, 1 'real' DC and 1 'phony' DC that is made of the skipped three chains.  So the instructions are correct. You can't also skip the 4th chain and put the first DC into the 5th chain, because then there would be 4 chains in the 'fake' DC, which is too tall and would make a big hole.

Yep, GS is correct. 

But, you may be asking about row 2.  When you complete the first row you're at the opposite end from the first "turning chain", which is the original chain 4.  So, when you turn the last DC from row 1 is underneath the beginning of row 2.  You'll start row 2 with a turning chain, which is the chain 3.  It counts as a stitch (as GS put it ... a phony DC.)  Your first actual DC on row 2 will be in the top of the 2nd stitch in row 1.  (Since you turned, this is physically the next to last DC you made in row 1.)  You'll crochet across and at the end you'll get to the original chain 4.  Your last DC on row 2 will be in the top of the chain 4.

Row 2:    8 | | | | | | | | | | | |

Row 1:    |  | | | | | | | | | | | 8

Where the 8 represent the stack of chains and the | represents the actual DC stitches.

By the way, you may be wondering why you start with the 4 chains, rather than 3.  The reason is that the original turning chain is a chain 3 + 1 chain for the foundation. 

Archived