Please help me with a pattern

Tomit316

Question

I'm crocheting a hat for my granddaughter. The instructions are written as follows:

Ch2, dc in same st, dc 5. *2dc, dc 5 *around. Sl st to join. (42)

After dc in same stitch, do I double crochet in next 5 stitches or all in the next stitch? Then the *2dc, dc 5* just lost me. Can someone please explain for me? Thank you so much for your help!

10 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

I really dislike this shorthand way of writing patterns because i think it tends to be confusing.  the word order is like a code.  Be sure you have read everything at the beginning and end of the pattern, there should be an explanation somewhere.  one thing you know is that you need to have 42 sts when you've completed the row, so you can figure out how many increases you need here and that should explain the row.

edit----I found the pattern, i think, which is a facebook post.  the one i found is for a version of a licensed character so it wouldn't meet the guidelines here at Crochetville since they apparently do not have permission of the owners of the character (you can review the guidelines in the Town Hall section of the forums) so I won't link to it.   But it looks like 2dc means 2 dc in one stitch (an increase) and dc5 means 1 dc in each of next five sts.  because there were 36 sts on previous row so you need 6 increases here.  the pattern writer did not choose to provide any explanation of the shorthand, which which would have been helpful, but arithmetic solves the puzzle lol

Thank you so much. I just started crocheting a couple months ago. I have taught myself through videos and reading. I bought this pattern online to make for my granddaughter. I'm so glad you found it and could decipher it for me.

Actually, that kind of shorthand has become pretty standard for rounds.  I've been making lots of rounds lately, because I've been making toys.  Almost every pattern that I've used has that shorthand.

Yes, it does mean do an increase in the first stitch (ch2 + dc).  Then you do a dc in each of the next 5 stitches.  * means repeat.  So, you'll repeat from * to * around until you get back to the beginning.  That means do an increase (2dc) followed by 5 dc in the next 5 stitches again and again.

When you're doing standard rounds, you start with a number in the ring.  Typically, you'll then increase that same number in later rounds to get it to lay flat.  As the diameter grows, it needs more stitches to stay flat.  For sc, the ratio is exactly the same number as the beginning ring.  So, if round 1 is 6 stitches, round 2 is 12, round 3 is 18, etc.  You add single stitches in between the increases, so you can space them out evenly.  For dc, the ratio is different, because the stitches are taller.

Here's a couple of hints for making rounds easier....

1. Counting becomes difficult as the rounds get bigger.  I count each section, instead of the whole thing.  So, for your round, I'd count increase, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and say that count 6 times.

2. If you always increase in the beginning (or ending) of each section, your project will not be completely round.  The increases lay on top of each other and create points.  So, if you're increasing every round, mix up where you put the increases.  It doesn't matter where in the count you do an increase, as long as they are evenly spaced.

3. Use a running stitch to track the rounds.  Get a piece of scrap yarn in an easy to see color.  Lay the tail across your work, so that it is underneath the first stitch in the round.  Then in the next round, flip the longer end across again, so that it is underneath the first stitch in the next round.  Keep doing this and you'll always be able to see where a round starts and ends.  When you're done, just pull it out.

Thank you so much. I just started crocheting a couple months ago. I have taught myself through videos and reading. I bought this pattern online to make for my granddaughter. I'm so glad you found it and could decipher it for me.

You're welcome!  We love to talk about crocheting and to help figure things out, so feel free to post anytime.  

Actually, that kind of shorthand has become pretty standard for rounds.  I've been making lots of rounds lately, because I've been making toys.  Almost every pattern that I've used has that shorthand.

Hi Sharon!   :waving

Yeah, I know this style of writing is getting more popular; i don't really make amigurumi but I know ami patterns  use it a lot.  

I just think it is not user-friendly for anyone who doesn't already know the "code".  the pattern I found had a list of all the standard abbreviations like sc, dc, etc., so it would not have been much more work to include an explanation of what it means when the number is first and the stitch name is second, and what it means when they are reversed.  

HI Kathy!  I agree that it is a PITA to try and decipher.  I guess I've gotten so used to it that I don't think about it much anymore.  I do remember when I first came across it.  I sat there scratching my head, until I just tried it.  It worked out to the stitch count.  Then I started seeing it a lot.  You're right that it's used more in amigurumi than for anything else.  Maybe the yarn council should add it to their "how to read a crochet pattern" section.  :)

Hi Sharon!   :waving

Yeah, I know this style of writing is getting more popular; i don't really make amigurumi but I know ami patterns  use it a lot.  

I just think it is not user-friendly for anyone who doesn't already know the "code".  the pattern I found had a list of all the standard abbreviations like sc, dc, etc., so it would not have been much more work to include an explanation of what it means when the number is first and the stitch name is second, and what it means when they are reversed.

Thank you for your help. I agree maybe this should be added to the how to section for us beginners. It totally threw me off. I had no idea what it was talking about. But once you all explained it, it made perfect sense. Thanks again. I have a feeling I will be posting a lot.

I really hope this writing style doesn't become standard practice. I wouldnt like to see it added to the CYCA "how to read patterns" (eta---because i think that would standardize it). I think the pattern writers should make it clear in the pattern. It would go right along with the abbreviations and any other notes on special stitches and such. Guess I'm a stick in the mud lol

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, there's a standard syntax, vocabulary, grammar and word order necessary for crochet patterns for a very good reason--because it is a precise instruction of sometimes complicated steps.  When you start using sloppy 'slang' it's often confusing and ambiguous (as it can be in plain written or oral conversation).  And really, even though the CYCA wrote the standards down, they didn't invent them or decide what was 'right' - they were documenting what has been a standard practice for about 100 years.  (Patterns from the 1800s can be really funky, from 1920-1920-ish at varying levels of evolution to modern terms from what I've seen).

Anyone can publish a pattern on their blog.  Unfortunately not everyone can write one well--it may make sense to the blogger, but not everyone else. 

Archived