cotton thread keeps twisting

SherylD

Question

I'm trying to crochet a doily and I'm using size 10 cotton thread. I don't really have any experience with this so I was wondering if there's a tip on how to keep the thread from twisting. I can only crochet a few stitches and then have to untwist the thread.

9 answers to this question

What form is the thread in?  Is it on a tall cone, or a shorter cardboard center?  

Twisting can happen because the cone or spool needs to turn to release the yarn.  With a smaller "put-up" like this http://www.joann.com/aunt-lydia-s-crochet-cotton-classic-size-10/12377065.html  I often put it in a bowl and set that on the floor, or table next to my chair, and the spool is light enough that it can roll around in the bowl and release the yarn smoothly.  With a heavier spool http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aunt-Lydia-s-Jumbo-Crochet-Cotton-White/12347755  or a cone, you might need to put it on a spindle so it can turn  freely and release the yarn easily  http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/yarn-pet.html   There are ideas floating around for homemade versions too.

edit ---sorry the last 2 links don't work, but if you want to see the pictures you can copy and paste.  

My spool  looks like the picture you posted from Joann. Thank you for your suggestions. I looked at the yarn pet and realized I owned something sort of on the same idea. I use to do a lot of sewing using large cones of thread and have a device that holds the cone and then feeds through a little hook at the top of a long arm. I just dug it out and tried using it. It's helping to keep the thread from twisting but I have to keep lifting the spool because the thread wraps underneath the spools and I can't seem to pull it when it's sitting upright. I'll probably look into the homemade ideas and see if I can make my thread holder work for this type of spool.

In the meantime, you could try just putting the thread in a mixing bowl or similar (I often use a clean plastic tub that originally held a gallon of ice cream) so the thread can roll freely.  that has worked well for me.

and I should say, welcome to the ville :hook

Thanks for that tip and the welcome. I'm doing a little better with what I'm using. I'm trying to just feed the thread through the loop and leaving the spool loose and that's kind of working. At least my thread isn't getting so twisted.

My DH made me a thread holder similar to this one by using a toilet tissue holder and securing it to a wood box that is weighted inside. I find it to be the best for me because it allows the spool to rotate the thread off back and forth instead of from the bottom up.

A free standing toilet tissue holder would work too if you can find one. I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

This idea works too with the bowl and clip, although, I found I had to use a deeper bowl (or can) so the spool didn't jump out.

With all of the suggestions I got for a thread holder, I thought I'd see if I could find something at our local dollar store. I actually bought a small plastic basket with holes on all sides and put the ball of thread inside, then ran the thread through one of the holes and it seems to have solved my twisting problem. So thanks again for all the suggestions because after seeing the bowl, I thought I could try and buy something that might work the same way.

I LOVE dollar store solutions!  While I've never worked with the thread, I try to always turn yarn into center pull.  Most yarn from the big box stores can be pulled from the center.  I bought a bunch of mesh laundry bags (3 packs at the dollar store.)  I put the yarn inside and run the center tail through one of the mesh holes.  Most of the time there is little to no twisting or knots.  The other advantage is that the yarn stays clean from pet hair and doesn't roll onto the floor.

Archived