Afghan help needed

jkoucheki

Question

Hi - I am new to crocheting and started an afghan with  LionBrand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.  I'm using a size 10mm hook since it's recommend that as a new crocheter you use one hook size bigger than the recommended to allow for a little looser stitches.  

I decided to make this afghan using the double crochet stitch.  My issue is that I'm just getting started on the 4th row and my afghan is very wavy and will not lie flat.  I THINK this is because my chain is much tighter than the next rows, but I'm hoping someone might be able to confirm.  Also - is there anyway to straighten this out without unraveling?  If I just keep going any idea what this will end up looking like??

I've attached a picture.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Janine

post-77232-0-23648600-1457286545_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hello and welcome to the 'ville!

Is this a plain DC pattern back and forth, nothing else fancy going on?  There were a couple of spots where I wasn't sure, but it may be due to the waviness.

There may be a couple of things going on.

First, a lot of us make chains that are tighter than the rest of our stitches, and there are a couple of ways to fix this - the easiest is to use a larger size hook for the chain only, then switch to the 'right' size for the rest of the piece.

Another solution for a tight chain - there are several spots in a chain that you can use to make your stitches into.

(1) If you look at a chain from the back side, there is the 'back bump'.  Using the back bump makes a nicest looking edge, but it also pulls the chain tighter, so this is where a bigger hook for the chain-only would come in.

(2) If you look at the chain from the front, you can use the top loop only (this is the way I was taught long ago).  This isn't as nice looking, but it is tension-neutral.

(3) also looking at the chain from the front, you can insert the hook under the top loop and the back bump, leaving the bottom loop free.  This is also tension-neutral, also not as nice looking (neither 'not as nice' are UGLY, they just don't match the top edge)

Second, a lot of beginners lose count along the way in DC, but for DC they tend to lose stitches, not gain them...and is more common at the edges, which would make a trapezoid, not a ruffle.  Is your stitch count the same in the last row as the first?

I looked at the enlarged pic and your stitches look pretty even.  I didn't see any missed stitches or increases (2 stitches in the same space.)  Your chain does look really tight, though.

I agree with GS.  Go up 1 or 2 hook sizes for your chain and then back to the right size for the first row.  Also, try to make your chain a bit looser.  Make sure that each chain stitch is made with the diameter of the hook and not the diameter of the throat (the skinny part under the hook.)  Do NOT pull on the yarn when you're making a chain.  If you pinch each chain as you're making the next one, they'll be looser, too.  It takes a tiny bit longer to do each pinch, but well worth it while you're learning to get a correct chain tension.

If you don't redo it, the afghan will eventually lay flat, except for the starting end.  It will always look like the end is pulled too tight together.

As GS said, watch your ends.  You want the same number of stitches in every row.  Take the time to count at least every few rows.  (I count every row for the first 10 and then every 5 rows.)  Turning chains can be tricky.  For DC stitches, the chain-3 is always counted as a DC stitch.  So, your first DC is in stitch 2 and your last DC is in the top of the turning chain in the previous row.  Here's a guide ...

SC: chain 1 for turning chain, does not count as a stitch, first sc is in the first stitch and last one is in the last stitch.

HDC: chain 2 for turning chain, sometimes counts as a stitch and sometimes doesn't, follow the pattern.

DC: chain 2 or 3 for turning chain, always counts as a stitch, first dc is in the 2nd stitch and last one is in the top of the previous row's turning chain.

TR: chain 3 or 4 for turning chain, same rules as DC

Make sure that each chain stitch is made with the diameter of the hook and not the diameter of the throat (the skinny part under the hook.)  

This - I had trouble with this as a beginner, and had to re-train myself to work higher up the shaft of the hook, not at the throat.

Thank you so much!!!!  These are great suggestions and I think my chain is WAY too tight.  I'm going to rip this out and start all over.  Using a bigger hook to make the chain is a great idea.  Using this bulky thread means that when you make the double crochet the thread goes way up on the hook but it didn't go up on the hook during the chain.  I've learned a lot with one question.  

Thanks again!!!!  

Before you start another afghan, look up Foundation stitches.  There are three kinds--scfnd, hdcfnd, and dcfnd.  they all make a beginning chain and stitch (sc, hdc, or dc ) all in "one fell swoop"!  They don't pull or pucker and are the foundation chain and first row combined. 

Archived