Ripple Granny Blanket Need Edge Ideas

klg1963

Question

I need to know how to 1.) get an edge single crochet so I can 2) put a small easy decorative edge on this blanket. Sides are 4 chains, 1 double crochet, where as top and bottom are granny stitch. I do not want to have all edges on top and bottom evened out like I 've seen on some blankets. Any ideas on stictches and styles? I'm rather a beginner. 

post-76542-0-91333500-1456263286_thumb.jpg

post-76542-0-98614800-1456263425_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Often I think 'no edge is usually better' especially for a ripple or a striped afghan; IMO they look peculiar with an edge running perpendicular to them.

So does adding an edge that clashes with the blanket; like a geometric blanket with a lacy edge.  

In your case, since there are so many chains at the top and presumably bottom edge, I'd put a sturdy egging on those 2 edges only.  Blanket ends get grabbed and pulled on more than the sides, and should be sturdier.  I think an ornate edge would look out of place with this blanket; I suggest something simple, maybe a couple of rows of SC (you'll have to make allowances for the peaks and valleys), and if you're feeling adventurous, end with a row of reverse single crochet.  It's really peculiar at first, but after a few stitches it gets easier - it makes a very sturdy and decorative rope-like edge.

Another last row might be a simple picot spaced evenly up and down each 'hill'.

I agree with Granny Square.  It really doesn't need an edge or a border.  I define an edge as 1 or 2 rows/rounds of sc stitches to hide rough edges or reinforce the sides/ends.  Something that blends with the project, but doesn't really add to the size very much.  I define a border as something you do after edging to add size and interest to a project.

If you want to add an edge, use the same yarn as the afghan.  So, where it's green, use green.  Where it's cream, use cream.  Or use your primary color for the edge.  An edge of sc needs to be evenly spaced.  That means 1 sc per stitch.  So, 1 sc in the dc and try 3 or 4 sc over the chains.  Try 3 or 4 sc per every 2 dc on the sides.  If your afghan begins to bunch up and/or ripple, then reduce the number of sc stitches.  If your afghan begins to pull and/or curl, then increase the number of sc stitches.  In the corners, make 3 sc stitches to get a sharp corner or 2 sc stitches to get a round corner.  (Using 1 sc stitch in a corner will make it curl.)

The other thing about adding a border after an sc edging is the count.  You have to know how many stitches are in your border pattern on the sides and on the corners.  Your sc count needs to match a multiple of the border pattern + the transition between the sides and corners.  For example, a picot in every other stitch only has a pattern count of 2 + 1 for the transition.  So, As long as your sc count is odd on each side, it works.  For a shell, the stitch count is 6 (skip 2, 5dc, skip 2, sc) + 3 for the transition (1/2 of a shell).  So, your sides need to be a multiple of 6 + 3.

Also, the reverse sc (aka crab stitch) is a wonderful last row/round!  It adds texture and interest as well strength without taking away from the afghan.  I also use it for decorative joins.  It's well worth learning.  :)

Good explanation Sharon.

I would also recommend the reverse sc. It looks good with out much difficulty or counting and it adds a nice texture. I use it a lot. I would YouTube instructions on it.

I have a really nice book about crocheted borders that I reference anytime I need a border. I love it! Check to see if your library has it. Its called Around the Corner Crochet Borders. She really goes in depth with pictures on explaining how to establish the first row of sc stitches with out getting waves or bunches. The corners are the tough spots. Sharon's explanation is the same as hers actually. There are nice illustrations and pictures to go with it in the book.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

For the stitch count, I'd keep a 1:1 stitch count (1 sc for each chain and DC) on the sides of the hill, and decrease/omit the same number of stitches you did in the valleys with the granny pattern, and increase by the same number as the granny pattern did at the top of the hills.  This will keep it lying flat.

Archived