Pattern Confusion

Heather927

Question

Hey guys!

I'm new here, and also new to crochet. I'm attempting an infinity scarf with a free pattern I found online. It's the first actual pattern I've done, and while I've looked up how to interpret and understand the patterns, I'm having a lot of trouble with one of the rows.

Ch2 and dc in same sc. *Skip 2sc and 3 dc in next dc.* Repeat from * to * 11 times, 2 dc in last sc. The problem is that my last row was all single crochets, and I would have thought that in order to put '3 dc in next dc' I would need dcs in the previous row to put them in and I'm really confused about how to proceed.

Thanks very much in advance for any help and I'm sorry if this is a really newbie question.

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

What's the link to the pattern?

I agree with Deb and Real Deal.  If the previous row's instructions were all sc stitches, then it's safe to assume that it's a typo.  The other possibility is that you missed a row.

There are a lot of great free patterns out there, but most of them are written by people without editors.  Most don't use pattern testers, either.  As a result, there are typos.  I've even found typos in patterns in published books, too.  Your best bet when you're unsure what the designer meant is to contact the designer or publisher.  Next best thing is asking in here.  :)

Another thing is that when you decide to change a pattern, either because of a typo or some other reason, no one is going to know, except you.  If you like the results, then chances are that the recipient will like it, too. 

Archived