Correct Chain Length for Adjusting Width of an Existing Afghan Pattern

Squirt

Question

I just have a question. While I'm new to Crochetville, (love the site by the way) I've been crocheting for years. My question is about a base chain length, I usually find a pattern that I like for afghans and change it around the way I like it and make blankets. My problem is this: How do I figure out the number of base chain stitches for the size I'm making at the time so that the pattern design will be complete without having less/more chain stitches than I need. I know there's probably a simple equation to figure this out and feel really silly asking it! So I sucked it up and decideed to ask regardless. Most of the time I just use trail & error, which is really frustrating. So if you can help, please! And thank you in advance. Squirt

6 answers to this question

Hi, welcome!

What i do is make the chain about the length i want the blanket to be wide, then add about 10% more chains. Work the pattern to the width you want and just ignore the unused chains, to undo them later and weave in the yarn end.

Welcome to Crochetville!

Kathy's method is much easier than the math.  But, just in case you want to do the math...

(# stitches in the pattern x # of patterns to get the width) + (# of stitches per side x 2) + # of stitches in the turning chain (for the starting stitch)

To figure out the # of patterns to get the width, crochet a swatch with the pattern x 3.  Measure the middle pattern to get the width of 1 pattern.  Divide your total width by the size of 1 pattern and round up.

Another vote for the method in post 2.  I do that even when I'm following a pattern with a large given number of chains, I'll do the number the pattern calls for and then add 10.  I'd rather pick out 9 chains than realize I'd miscounted 1 short .....

The problem I have with using math to figure the # of sts, is that so many patterns don't state the multiple.  If there is a stitch symbol diagram, I can count the multiple myself because I can literally see it.  If it's a written pattern I often have to make it to understand the multiple.  By the time I do that and do the multiplication, I could have started the project.  For a blanket, or a scarf, something that doesn't need to be an exact size, it seems just as easy to start w/ a chain the approx size i want the thing to be.

If I'm making a garment I do have to do a little math, dang it!   :P   Still usually make extra chains though.  

Thank you so much to all of you who responded to my question about adding to base chain. I really appreciate it and plan to try all of your suggestions. I especially liked the idea of using the extra chains to weave in my ends, as I am always trying better ways so the ends don't come out. Squirt

the idea with the extra chains is to unravel or unpick them (you can't rip out because you will be starting at the beginning so each chain has to be individually undone) and then weave in the yarn.  So it's no different than weaving in any other yarn end.  i think if a person tried to weave in the intact chain it would be very bulky and noticeable.  

Archived