How can I tell the 'right side' of my work?

Mygosh

Question

I'm halfway through a project and am getting confused about which is the right side/ wrong side of my work. I know that if I start row 1 as RS then all the odd numbered rows will usually be RS also.... I just wondered if there is any other way to tell them apart.

3 answers to this question

Usually the pattern will tell you which side is RS and WS, it it matters.  I usually count the odd rows as right side, except lately I keep doing patterns that count odd rows as the wrong side.  If the right side matters, then look to see where your original tail is.  If you want odd rows to be the RS, then the tail will be on the side of your opposite hand (left side for right-handed crocheting or vice-versa.)  Use a stitch marker on row 1 on the right side, so it'll be easier to spot.

"It depends".  Sometimes a pattern will tell you to mark which is the 'right' side, for some construction purpose.  If it's the same stitch (plain stitch, like SC, or some stitch patterns, like shells) worked back and forth (turning), it doesn't much matter because it's the same on both sides).*  If it's worked in the round, same side facing (like a granny square, a toy, most hats), it's the side facing you that's normally considered 'right', but if you like the look of the other side better, there's no crochet police to tell you not to use that side.  

* the only subtle difference is that a row that you are currently working on has a slight tilt toward you (I'm not sure if this works differently if you are left handed or not).  For wearables, I tend to make sure that the slight tilt ends up facing the inside of the garment, if it makes sense for the stitch pattern.  The reason is, I think it looks better if that little flare points toward the body, rather than away from it (like a 60s flip hairdo, although that's an exaggeration).  So, I'd usually treat row 1 as a WS row for a garment.

(sigh) Hi Red!  Typing at the same time again :hi

Archived