Broomstick Lace help!

Mygosh

Question

4 answers to this question

I love broomstick lace!  I used patterns for mine.  The pattern told me what sizes to use.  For the crochet hook, use the standard sizes ... whatever size that works with the yarn to create the size of stitches that you want.  (You'll be using it for the crochet part.)  For the broomstick part, I used a 50mm knitting needle, but it really can be any large, long, smooth object.  The size of the broomstick will be the size of your loops.  So, if you want large loops, use something really thick.  If you want smaller loops, use something less thick. like 25mm.

I'm guessing that this is your first broomstick lace, based on your question.  For each loop row, you'll be stacking loops onto the broomstick (or knitting needle).  So, if you're doing something really wide, make sure that the broomstick is long enough to hold all of the loops.  I don't knit, but I think it's similar to casting on.  Then for each row after the loops, you'll be sliding 1 or more loops off and crocheting into them.  Make sure that they don't twist or cross each other as they come off the broomstick.  They'll naturally twist once after the crochet.

Thank you, that's fab!

Yep broomstick lace looks so pretty & complex.

I've had one (failed) attempt but need to find something suitable for the 'broomstick' part.

I'll have a look at a few patterns that suggest a needle size and find something simple :)

I never bought any large knitting needles because I don't knit, single needles are not readily available to me and the larger needles tend to be pricey.

With size 3 weight crochet thread I've used a Q-hook and P Hook. For larger projects I bought different thicknesses of wood dowels at the lumber store. I cut them to lengths I wanted, sanded, then finished with a few coats of rub-on wood polish.

Here's just one of many tutes on the Web for the stitch itself. Nice clear photos. This article has some good suggestions too for the stitch and the equipment.

Archived