Help with a Zig Zag Throw pattern

G-PEG60

Question

As I stated in the introduction section, my friend got me started on crocheting a zig zag throw.  This is the only thing she has ever crocheted and has been doing the same thing forever.  She told me to make a chain of 170.  Skip the first chain then single crochet 8, SC 3 together, SC 8, skip 2, etc.  At the end of the row, chain 1, turn, skip the first stitch  and continue.  

The trouble I'm having is that the rows don't end up even at the ends.  There's an extra stitch.  I've done 4 rows about 10 times and I'm so frustrated.  Does anyone see what the problem in the pattern might be?

18 answers to this question

I second Redroses about having in-person help.  it is much easier to know what is going on by actually seeing and holding the work, than by describing it in words as we are doing here.

in that vein, if you can take a clear closeup photo of it and post it here---or put it on flickr , photobucket etc and link to it---then we would be able to see it and that would help.

it seems to me that when you say "Instead of ending the row with 8, there's 9."

that you simply need to skip one of those and make 8 as the pattern calls for.

So I'd suggest you try that.

Later today I will try to swatch your pattern and see if it works for me.  

and re your question about a different pattern, there are probably a million patterns for zigzag/ripple/chevron afghans.  Some use single crochet and many use double crochet.  The increases/decreases can be made in different ways.  You might look through the show and tell section for afghans that people have successfully made.  I *think* the Easy Ripple is pretty reliable. it uses double crochet stitches and different incs/decs than yours.  pattern is here http://www.handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-ripple.html  if you click on the Ravelry link you can see projects (2000+ !) and discussion about it. 

oh shoot, i was answering as though you were working into stitches, not into chains.....those links may not be much help!  

I had to read Granny Square's post before the light dawned lol

stitch diva has a tutorial on this also https://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/working-into-the-starting-chain

it's easier for me to understand this kind of thing with a visual so thought i'd post to supplement Granny square's description.  other than that, all I can add is that i think you can start any way you want, they all work.  

There are many ways to make a stitch into a chain.  The 3 most common (I believe) are:

With the chain facing you, into the top loop only.

With the chain facing you, into the top loop and the back loop, leaving the bottom loop free.  I think this is what is meant.  *

On the backside of the chain, into the back bump, leaving the chain unworked.

There's 1 other way, the opposite of the last one, but it's really awkward to do and I've never seen it used (I just tried it once) 

The top 2 are more or less tension neutral.  The third (back bump), pulls in the stitches and it's usually best to use a bigger hook for the chain, then go back to the 'right' hook for the stitches.  This matches the top rows of stitches (so both ends look the same).

* Unless, the instruction was meant for the following row, which is more typical, where it meant looking down at the top of the stitch, into the chain-looking loop farthest away from you.  This is commonly used in SC ripples, it makes a ridge and emphasizes the ripples - just a decorative trick.

:hi Hi Magic!

both loops means under both strands at the top of the stitch, as opposed to only the back one or the front one.  they aren't really loops but this is how they are called.   here's an illustration of the different ways to work into a sttich  http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-the-front-or-back-loops-of-a-stitch

I have one other question.   My pattern says this for row 1.  

ROW 1: working in both loops (in second chain from hook)

sc2tog, 1 sc in each of next 5 st, sc 3 times in next st, *1 sc in
next 7 st, skip next 2 st, 1 sc in next 7 st, sc 3 times in next st.

​What do they mean work in both loops?

Thanks.  I found another pattern I made a swatch of and so far it's working.  It calls for sc2tog at the beginning and end of each row.  Also, My friend crochets her throw both the loops rather than the back loop so I've been doing that.  I've skipped patterns I've found that call for double crochet because I don't quite get it.  

Maybe I should try making a swatch of friend's pattern myself later on to see if I can get it to work.  The first row works fine, since it's the one that you do on the chain.  And so does the second.  When I get to the end of the 3rd is the problem.  If I don't crotchet 9, there's a notch at the end of the row.  I'll look at if I took it out already and try to do a photo.  Does Crochetville have an app?  It's so much easier on the phone.

glad you found an alternate pattern!  You can adapt your pattern similarly by skipping the next-to-last stitch, so that you have 8 instead of 9.  or do the sc2tog like your new pattern.

clear, concise, lessons on double crochet can be found on the Crochet guild site i linked earlier if youare interested.

i don't know if there's an app for photos or not.  

Thanks.  I found another pattern I made a swatch of and so far it's working.  It calls for sc2tog at the beginning and end of each row.  Also, My friend crochets her throw both the loops rather than the back loop so I've been doing that.  I've skipped patterns I've found that call for double crochet because I don't quite get it.  

Maybe I should try making a swatch of friend's pattern myself later on to see if I can get it to work.  The first row works fine, since it's the one that you do on the chain.  And so does the second.  When I get to the end of the 3rd is the problem.  If I don't crotchet 9, there's a notch at the end of the row.  I'll look at if I took it out already and try to do a photo.  Does Crochetville have an app?  It's so much easier on the phone.

Welcome to Crochetville, G-Peg60!

Magiccrochetfan is giving you excellent advice, but sometimes it does help to have someone in person.  You may be able to get help before waiting for your friend.  There are a lot of crocheters out there and I'm sure they're in your area, too.  It's a matter of finding one.  Here are some suggestions...

1. If you have a local yarn shop, not one of the big box stores, try there first.  They usually have someone working that crochets and can show you.

2. Look for a yarn group.  A few are all knitters, but most have someone that crochets.  Local yarn shops and some big box stores have yarn groups.  If they don't, ask if they know about any.  Other places to try are churches, libraries, book stores, community centers and retirement centers.  Yarn groups meet all over the place!

3.  Look online.  I found my first yarn group at meetup.com.  You may be able to find one on facebook or by googling.  You can also ask on your facebook if anyone crochets or knows someone that crochets.

Crocheters and knitters are a friendly lot that love to help others succeed!

Thanks.  I am doing the turning chain at the end of the row.  When I turn it I have been skipping that as well as the next one for the Sc 3 together to line up.  The problem is actually right before the turning chain.  Instead of ending the row with 8, there's 9.  It works out right for the first row.  It's after that, that the problem arises.  I think I'm going to need someone to help me in person.  I should probably just give up until I meet up with my friend again!  She's in AZ and I'm in MN.  It's an issue!

There are some good videos on the Crochet Guild site by teacher Kim Guzman.  on this page http://www.crochet.org/?page=LearnToCrochet

you can see videos for right- and left-handed crocheting.  In the one on single crochet she talks about the turning chain and shows it so you can see how it will look when you get to it.  You may not need this additional info but thought I'd post just in case .  

okay, I think the answer may actually be pretty simple!  When you make any stitch taller than a chain, like single crochet in this case, at the beginning of the row you have to make a chain, which is called the "turning chain".  in this pattern, it is the chain you skip at the very beginning, and the one chain you make at the end of each row before you turn the work.  the only purpose of these is to be the turning chain, they get you up to the height you need for the single crochets.  I think that you are looking at the turning chain and thinking you should make a stitch into it----but instead, just ignore it.   As long as your single crochet counts are correct, you are fine.  Just make the turning chain and then ignore it!  

So, try that and see if it works.  If it doesn't work for you, please come back and post and we will try to help with other ideas.  

Hi again!  What do you mean there's an extra stitch at the ends?

I mean instead of sc 8, there's room for 9, so one more then there should be.  So it ends up there's a notch at the end of the row instead of a smooth edge.  

Do you know of a good, easy to understand for the beginner, pattern for the throw I speak of?  Lol!

I'm sorry, I meant single crochet, not chain. I tried to fix it.   I'm beyond frustrated.  Everything counts out right, then when I chain one at the end of the row, turn the work and get to the other end, there's always an extra stitch at the end, so 9 instead of 8.  I'm not having trouble matching everything up.  It's easy to see where the skip 2's and the stitch 3 togethers go and I'm counting everything as I go.

Another question---when you say "chain 3 together" do you mean that you are making 3 stitches into one chain?  

A zigzag pattern (also called chevron or ripple patterns) is made up of "peaks" where you increase the number of stitches---that would be the place where you might crochet 3 stitches into one chain or stitch, which is a 2-stitch increase; and "valleys"---where you decrease the number of stitches by skipping the 2 chains or stitches, which is a 2-stitch decrease.    the increases and decreases balance each other out across each row, and when they are lined up correctly over many rows they create the zigzags.  

Hi again!  What do you mean there's an extra stitch at the ends?  If you count the total stitches in a row, the number should always be the same---170 in this case i think.  

Zigzag patterns can be difficult to keep lined up correctly, so don't feel bad, because you are not the only one who has struggled with a pattern like this.  

By the way, the stitches you make into the initial chains are not called a "chain".  They are called single crochet, double crochet, etc.  http://crochet.about.com/od/crochetstitches/tp/basic-stitches.htm

Archived