Trouble understanding beginning of pattern

Calliope

Question

I have only been crocheting for a couple of months. I have never read a pattern or tried to follow one. I'm not sure if the first line of this pattern means that I need to use two strands meaning I use two separate pre-measured pieces together, or I just use two pieces that I separate from the original yarn ball???

http://stitch11.com/free-cat-ear-pattern/

5 answers to this question

The pattern wants you to double the yarn's thickness.  You'll either need 2 skeins or you'll need to wind enough of 1 skein into a ball or on a yarn bobbin for the project.  You'll then use both strands to crochet.  Even though you'll have 2 strands on your hook, pretend that they are one.  

I've been crocheting for a while and I've never tried multiple yarns before.  Hopefully someone here will have some tips for making it easier than it sounds.

You don't cut the yarn, you'd either use 2 balls, or 2 ends of the same ball.  Hopefully it is a center pull skein so it will be easy to find the inside end, just hold that end and the outside one together.  

If you can't find the inside end, you may have to re-wind it.  Here are some fancy directions for using a nostepinne, a special tool for this, but you could use a long pencil or paper towel tube etc.

http://www.hatchtown.com/tools/info-specs/accessories/nosting

edit, hi Red!

It's not hard to crochet with multiple pieces. They get a little wound around one another sometimes, but that's easily straightened out. I've seen a lot of baskets and rugs made with a Q or S hook and six or eight strands together--some people use up their scraps that way, just tying everything together and holding strands of the "magic balls"  together with the same amount of a solid color.

Archived