Brand new

Magic Drop

Question

I wanted to make some Disney and Star Wars amigurumi. When I saw a kit for them that says great for beginners. Just 1 problem I have no idea how to read the pattern. The very first round says CH 2, work 6 AC into first ch-6 st.

ch is chain stick and ST is single stitch but do I make 2 ch then do 6 st on the 1st 6 times? I am so confused

24 answers to this question

Hang in there Magic Drop!  Good advice above.  You've just gotten a step ahead of yourself, you need to understand how to make the stitches, how to read a pattern, and practice a bit, before attempting a pattern.  There are a lot of videos out there.  Just grab some yarn and make practice swatches, don't be afraid to make wonky stitches (because we all did) before finding the 'groove' to make them consistent.

I learned to crochet in the dark ages before the internet, when I was in high school.  After dinner at a friend's house, her mom showed both of us the basics, It wasn't more than a couple of hours with friend and I sitting on either side of her mom on the sofa.  That was the sum total of my formal instruction, and I was off and running a few practice swatches after that.

Don't be discouraged, but do take a bit of time to learn the 'alphabet' of the craft first, and practice a bit, before you try to 'write a book' so to speak.  My point is that it's not hard, but you need to do get that down first (and it won't take that long, just a bit of practice).  

I'd like to gently suggest you don't try to get this toy done before Christmas.  For one thing, it will physically take some time to get it done (even for a non-beginner), and it would be nice not to have the extreme deadline stress.  We don't want you running away screaming!

I'm so glad you're going to check out the many wonderful teaching tools out there!  It just doesn't make sense to teach someone to crochet here, because there are already so many tutorials with pictures and videos.  Please come back here with any questions and pictures of what you've done.  We love seeing  everyone's accomplishments!

Not many guys out there crochet, but those that do find out how great it is and have created some really cool things!  Check out this Mario World.  It's way more advanced than I can do!!  Also, The Crochet Dude is well known in the crocheting world.  My grandfather found that he loved making dishcloths, hot pads and towel toppers to keep his mind and hands busy.  He didn't learn to crochet until his 70's and his 2nd wife never learned.  :)

Ok thank you. Didn't realize how hard these would be. I googled the books before and the videos I saw said they were good for 1st timers just need to learn terminology. I can see that's not correct because I'm totally lost lol. I'll try a few other projects then come back to these.

Here is a tutorial for identifying the second chain from hook when you only have 2 chains  http://www.freshstitches.com/where-do-you-insert-your-hook-for-2nd-ch-from-hook/

here is a tutorial for a heart pattern that starts out by working into second ch from hook, and has 6 sc in that round http://planetmfiles.com/2010/02/09/crochet-heart-step-by-step/

I'm sorry I am so very lost. This is my VERY first attempt ever at crochet. And my wife has never done it or anyone else I know so I don't even know where to look for help.

Oh my!  I just read this!  I highly recommend that you do not start with amigurumi.  You need to start with something flat, like a dish cloth or sample swatch.  Please go to youtube and view some videos on how to crochet.  There are some really good videos.  You can also find classes in your area at any yarn shop, including stores like JoAnn's, Michaels, AC Moore, etc.  Craftsy.com also has some great classes on how to crochet.  There are also how to crochet books and if you google "how to crochet" there are some excellent written instructions.

After you're comfortable making stitches, try a simple round, like a basket or mug cozy. 

Once you've done those, then come back to the amigurumi.  I'd hate to see you give up just because you started with something more difficult than the learning projects.  The typical skill set for any craft increases from learning, beginner, intermediate, experienced, skilled, to master.  The kit assumes that you're past learning.

You're starting with 2 chains.  The first chain is dangling and the loop for the 2nd chain is on your hook.  Look at that dangling chain.  It has 3 strands.  It's called the "foundation loop."  It's where you'll do round 1.

Insert your hook between those 3 strands.  Draw up a loop and make an SC. 

Make 5 more SC exactly where you made the first one.

You'll now have a circle of 6 SC.  (If it's not a circle, then tug on the tail until it is a circle.)

You're ready for round 2.  Read what I wrote above for round 2.

Did this help?

Are you still having trouble understanding after what Magic, Granny and I wrote?  If yes, it's OK.  Sometimes it helps if something is explained another way.  I know I had one pattern where I had to have it explained to me multiple times until finally someone said one thing that made the light bulb turn on. 

Maybe you could point out what one of us wrote that doesn't make sense.  Or point out if the pattern is different than what we explained.

You can add the link to the picture at JoAnn's.  Highlight a word(s).  Click on the chain with the green plus.  Enter the URL and click on OK.

You can add pictures to your posts, however you can't post a picture of something someone else has made due to copyright laws.  You're only allowed to add a picture of something you made or own.  Here's how...

1. Click on Edit (between the "Report" link and the "MultiQuote" button.)  Then click on the "Full Editor" button.  This takes you to where you were when you created the post.

2. Scroll down to the "Attach Files' section.

a. Click on Browse.  Select your picture and click on "OK."

b. Click on "Attach this File."

c. Click in your post where you want the pic.  Click on "Add to Post."

3. Click on Save

2) -6 st is not an instruction, it is telling you that at the end of this round, you will have a total of 6 stitches (SC).  

as Homer Simpson would say, "Doh!"    :oops  haha I thought it meant there would have been 6 ch done previously...even though i was thinking that's a strange way to start because it would leave a hole....and I know a dash and a # of sts at the end of a set of instructions means it is giving the stitch count.  

Waving back at GS!  LOL

By the way, Granny is right.  It says "into the first ch" then it says "- 6 st."  I missed seeing the space.  Into the first chain is the last part of the instruction.  - 6 st is the total number of stitches in the round.

Your pattern says CH 2, work 6 AC into first ch-6 st.  I'm assuming AC should be SC.

What this is telling you is two things:

1)  chain 2, and put 6 SC into the first chain.   (Trust me, with crochet you can put a LOT of stitches into 1 stitch).  

2) -6 st is not an instruction, it is telling you that at the end of this round, you will have a total of 6 stitches (SC).  This will be helpful in later rounds to help you count your stitches when the stitch count gets higher, because you will be increasing.

Sometimes things worked in the round are made by making several chains, joining into a ring, and stitching into the ring.  I think Magiccrochetfan read a little bit too fast and missed the ch2 part, and assumed you were to make a ring of 6 chains.

I have a guess at what you need.  It looks to me that the "AC" should be "SC", since the S is next to the A on the keyboard.  Also, it looks like you're starting a standard round.

"CH 2, work 6 AC into first ch-6 st"

The first part indicates a standard round.  I'm just not sure about the "into first ch-6 stitch" part.  It should read "into the first ch-2 stitch."  Here's how you start a standard round...

1. Chain 2.

2. Do 6 SC in the first chain.

The first chain is for the foundation loop.  The second chain is for the height of an SC.  The loop will widen as you add SC stitches.  Also, putting 6 SC stitches in a single chain will cause the stitches to form a circle.  If your last SC stitch isn't close to your first SC, then tug at the tail until it's taught, but not tight.

Note: There are multiple ways to start a round.  I only listed the way that I think the pattern is indicating.

At this point you'll start round 2, which is typically to do 2 SC in each of the first 6 SC (12 stitches.)  This means that you're doing a spiral.  When you're doing a spiral, make sure that you skip that 2nd chain you made for height.  The first stitch needs to be in the first SC or your count will be off.  I haven't done a lot of amigurumi, but the ones I've done all started with spirals.

Here's a hint for keeping count on spirals...

1. Get a length of contrasting yarn.  (Light if you're working with dark yarn or vice-versa.)

2. Lay the yarn underneath the first stitch on the second round with the tail pointing towards you.

3. Flip the yarn back and forth every time you get to the first stitch.

4. When you are done, pull the yarn out.

This creates a running stitch and is much easier than moving markers when doing a spiral.  Also, it makes counting rounds easier.  When you flip the yarn away from you, you're starting an even round.  When you flip it towards you, you're starting an odd round.

The other thing about amigurumi is that it is VERY important to constantly count your stitches.  You must do increases (2 stitches in the same stitch) and decreases (stitch 2 together) exactly where the pattern says.  It is critical to getting the correct shape.  I always count the round's stitches at the end of every round.  Sometimes I count them more than once, just to be sure.

welcome to the ville!

Before this, did you make 6 chains and join them into a loop?  if so "into first ch6" means into the loop, not the individual stitches.  

Does it really say AC, or is that a typo in your post?

St stands for stitch or stitches usually; does your pattern have a key that says st means a single stitch?  

If this is licensed by Disney and the Star Wars folks, can you link to where you bought the kit so we can see a picture of it?  (if it is not licensed, then it would violate the site guidlelines to link to it---see here for more info http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/139158-crochetville-community-policies/ )

Archived