need help with pattern

Jason Trainor

Question

On row 2 says to ch 13, 1 dc in 4th ch from hook, work 12 dc over the next ch-6 portion of ch.

Does this mean 2 dc in eachof next 6 chs?

*row 3 1dc in 7th dc of prevrous row, [ch1, sk 1dc, 1dc in next dc] 3 times ch 4 turn

The other says row 4 [1dc in next ch-1 space, ch1] 3times, 13 dc in next ch 7 loop **, dc in next

ch1 space, ch 7 , turn

repeat from * 9TIMES, repeat * to ** once.

Recap row 2 and repeat is confusing. Anyone help

14 answers to this question

Hello and welcome to the 'ville.  Don't mean to be grouchy, but you should remove the pdf file and put a link to it instead, posting the actual pattern is against forum rules (copyright).

Your first question - you could work 2 DC into each chain, but more commonly what is meant is to work the stitches over the chain loop instead of into individual chains.

Your row 3 question: [ch1, sk 1dc, 1dc in next dc] 3 times means to do all of the stuff inside the [ ] 3 times, so is just:

ch1, sk 1dc, 1dc in next dc,

ch1, sk 1dc, 1dc in next dc,

ch1, sk 1dc, 1dc in next dc

However, this pattern is written unconventionally, because it appears that a repeat marked with an asterisk starts at row 3, continues thru row 4, and then those 2 rounds are repeated 9 times.

Round 4:  as above, do all of the stuff inside the [ ] 3 times).  HOWEVER, the ** is a special symbol which is just a marker.  Typically it will appear in a pattern affecting only 1 row, as in "starting part of a row, *do stuff** more stuff, repeat until you are x stitches from the end, do end row stuff" . This means = after the * is to do everything from * through more stuff, ignoring the **; the ** marks the point in the pattern where you will be 3 stitches from the end.

Back to the unconventional part -- in this case, you ignore the ** for 9 repeats of rows 3 & 4, and do something different at the end of the 9th repeat of row 4.

It would have been more clearly written if :

they left out the ** in row 4

said to repeat row 3 & 4 8 times

then, row 21= same as row 3

then, write row 22 similar to row 4 but with the different ending.

Here is a site with all sorts of good info, I've linked to a page which helps explain the repeat symbols

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Welcome to the ville!  As a first step to getting acclimated here, it's a good idea to review the Community Guidelines regarding posting things to which you do not hold the copyright.  

I think the best place to ask your questions will be the Crochet-along on Ravelry on the designer's group http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/butterfly-shawl-group/3291471/1-25   There you can talk directly to the designer and to others who are making the pattern.  

I'm making that shawl. It was a Cal nd is now over but has lots of help here.  She gives a video for that part but also has a note about parts of it as hers ends different than the video

shawl board

spiral

My friend does not crochet and she wanted the bohemian vest. Seen this one try to make for her

I

is this the vest pattern you mean?  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bohemian-boho-vest

the shawl you are working on does not have armholes as far as I know, unless modifications for those have been published somewhere.  You will have to create armholes to change the shawl pattern into a vest.  

On row 2 says to ch 13, 1 dc in 4th ch from hook

ok, work 12 dc over the next ch-6 portion of ch. Does this mean 2 dc in each of next 6 chs 

YES  you co 2 dc in each of the next 6 chns

I hope you get the video as I see you went to the Cal, and it has good pictures.. I will try to explain later too and be back tomorrow as my pc is not coperating now.  

Happy to see OP went to Cal and is doing a nice job on his project.

Archived