Change a cowl pattern to a scarf?

chickie

Question

Hi everyone. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

I have a question on changing a cowl to a scarf.  I made two long cowls (at my sister's request) and when she tried them on she decided they would look even better as scarves.  "Can you just cut them?"

Nooooo! 

I know I can either just make them like a regular scarf pattern, working short rows across for the length of the scarf, but when I turn my work at the end of each row, the puffs are backwards.  And on the yellow one, the puffs are so close (and she loves that) I don't know if they would look straight in each row even if I figured out the first problem. Any other ideas or tips if I do it that way?

The other way would be to ch the whole length of the scarf and work it the long way.  I think the rows of puffs would look straighter, but I'd still be turning the work.

I know puffs can be pushed out to the other side, but the stitch doesn't look the same.

So how do I make a scarf with puffs that looks like this yellow cowl that was worked in the round?

And the second question is this. I know the yellow scarf is a puff stitch, but what stitch did I make on this purple scarf?

It's "insert hook, yo, pull thru. Then yo, insert hook, pull thru. Yo, insert hook, pull thru again. Yo and pull thru all 6 loops. Ch 1 to close"  It makes a flatter sort of puff.  I'm trying to write out patterns that I have done, but I would like to know the name of this stitch, please. Thanks!

post-76360-0-44993200-1448667890_thumb.jpg

post-76360-0-16797800-1448667947_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hi Chickie!  I had a great Thanksgiving!  I hope yours was as good, too!

If you look at the yellow cowl, your puff stitches are every other row, just as they should be.  So, only do a puff stitch on the right side and when you turn to the wrong side, do your sc.

Well I feel silly.  I mean...DUH.  :reyes  Seems so simple when someone else points it out!  Thank you, thank you. :ty

So how about that other stitch? Any idea what it is called? I don't think I made it up, but can't seem to find a pattern using it. 

Btw, I just bought a copy of The Crochet Stitch Bible!  I can't wait to curl up with it!

I didn't take a guess on the purple stitch, because it looks like a couple of stitches in The Crochet Stitch Bible, but not quite.  It's most likely a variation or a cross between a couple of stitches.  Check out Chapter 7, Clusters, Puffs and Bobbles. 

Yes! That's it!  The Bobble stitch!  Thank you Reni.  You did it again! :cheer

I looked in The Crochet Stitch Bible under "Clusters, Puffs, and Bobbles, but there is no stitch called the bobble stitch and the closest I could come to what I was doing was either the Lace Cluster or the Pineapple stich. But neither was right.  Why don't they have a bobble stitch in the Bobble chapter?  :think

I have no clue why they left out the bobble stitch in that chapter.  It's a common stitch.  They only have 200+ stitches though.  I saw another stitch book that had over 500 stitches.  I suspect that the actual number of stitches out there is in the thousands!  LOL

Archived