what does this mean?

Joann Tyler

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Here is a site that has a lot of good info, this particular page is pertinent to the punctuation and wording of crochet patterns.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

For your instructions:

From the wording of your pattern, it sounds like you (may have) already did something into the first stitch mentioned; so into that same stitch you will also make a SC, and then a SC into each of the next 7 stitches. (if it said, turn, chain 1, SC in the same stitch etc, it would mean to just SC in the first stitch.  The turning chain-1 doesn't go into or count as a stitch)

Make 1 HDC into each of the next 5 stitches.

Although the pattern already says this, anytime you see an asterisk it means you will be repeating something.  So, into each of the next 31 stitches you will be making a cluster.  (somewhere else in the pattern it should have defined what a cluster is - 'cluster' is a general term for a variety of specific variations of a group of stitches).  Don't make a ch-1 after the last cluster.

Make 1 HDC into each of the next 5 stitches.

SC into each of the next 8 stitches.

What are you making?

It should read: Sc in same st and sc in next 7 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, * Work 1 cluster in each st*, repeat from * to * for 31 clusters (or cluster in 31 sts). Do NOT ch 1 after last cluster, hdc in next 5 sts, sc in next 8 sts, ch 1, turn.

Counting from the beginning to the end of the row you will have: 8 scs, 5 hdcs, 31 clusters, 5 hdcs, 8 scs.

Sometimes patterns are edited to fit a page, which can make it difficult for beginners. I've been crocheting for 30+ yrs. and I sometimes have to read a pattern more than once to get it. I've even photocopied patterns and written notes to help me later. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

Archived