Fphdc, hdc? New here :)

chocolaterain

Question

Hi everyone! I'm new here from California. I'm a beginner crocheter and I need help with this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/neely-slouchy-hat

It calls for chaining 2, then working a front post half double crochet, followed by a half double crochet. I am unsure where to place my hook after the fphdc to create a hdc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If needed here are the instructions

Round 17: Ch 2. Work a fphdc around the next st. *Hdc in the next st. Work a fphdc in the next st. Repeat from * to the end of the round. You will end with a fphdc st. Sl st to the top ch of the beginning ch 2. (72 sts. 36 fphdcs and 36 hdcs)

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

Make the post stitch, then go to the stitch adjacent to that and make the hdc there. It may look like you skipped a stitch because the top of the previous stitch is not worked into, but you didnt.

In round 16 you ended with 72 stitches.  You can check this by counting the tops (V's).  In round 17 you are alternating fphdc & hdc into the 72 stitches, which gives you 36 fphdc and 36 hdc.  The ch 2 counts as a stitch and is used to gain height.  So, you'll do a fphdc around round 16, stitch 2's post.  Next you'll do a hdc into round 16, stitch 3's top.  Fphdc around stitch 4's post, hdc into  stitch 5's top, etc.

I hope this helps!  Please write back if you're still confused.

(I feel like Granny Square!  Hi Kathy!  LOL)

Archived