Plus Size Poncho

Jayashiangel

Question

Looking for around 3 X- 5 X sizes.....I have found 2 patterns for ponchos. Both pattern more or less are same changes I see are HOOK size and Starting Chain....

First option---Chain 120 --and a I hook

2nd option--- Chain 170---and a J hook

I started the using the first pattern and a chain of 120 but it seems to me to be VERY Small and using the I hook.. What would you do? Rip it and use pattern 2 and go up hook and the Chain or keep seeing if pattern one will work??

Here are 2 pictures excuse the one on me hard to try to take your own pic.....it doesn't lay flat and feels bunched up....

post-35509-0-55428900-1447439731_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-01214800-1447441080_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

I would not rip out yet.  Keep what you have so far, so you can see how it compares to alternatives.  Take a new ball of yarn and do the same pattern but with a J hook, and I would probably do the starting chain with a K  (or do the starting chain with an L and the body with a K if you think it needs to be a lot looser). Then see if you like that better than the current one.  

What I see in the photos is that it looks like the neck opening is pretty much big enough so you don't want it to be TOO much bigger.  But the granny stitch does look bunchy which means the gauge is too small for the yarn.  I don't see a gauge given in the pattern so you have to go by what looks and feels right to you.  

The Drops pattern looks to me like it has a very wide neck opening and would be falling off the shoulders easily.  

I've made a very similar pattern (sort of a 2 cornered granny square, with a hole in the middle) and used it quite a bit when I lived in a warmer climate....actually it was my winter coat unless it was raining :P  I think once you get more fabric around, the weight of the fabric will make it lie flatter.

One thought  --  different  folks swear by different variations for the number of chains in the corners of granny squares, based on their personal gauge/tension, to get them to lie flat.  Try adding or subtracting a chain in the corner and see what happens.  You can 'swatch' this on your current piece without having to rip too much, just go around a corner, make a few granny shells, turn, to around the corner again, repeat a couple of times and see what lies flatter.

I wouldn't make the neck any bigger.  Actually, on the one I made for myself, I improvised a neckline edging to  close up the neckline a bit.   Notice the smaller Bob Wilson pattern has a tie to tighten up the neck.  I agree the Drops one isn't very practical.

New Plan will keep working Option 1 as I already am & will donate if to small :O) then if it's to small I will try the Drops style..Thanks everyone.....

Mostly this was just something to do to learn a new pattern & then give it to my my DD to wears a 3X..but I wanted some extra space

Archived