mandarine top

chars17

Question

Drop lp from hook join separate strand of yuarn in top of dc on row 3 ch 18 fasten off separate strand working across ch just made pick up dropped lp dc in each of next 3chs ch 2 sk next 2chs dc in each of next 4 chs ch 7 sk next 8chs dc in last ch turn I don't understand how to do it

5 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to Crochetville!

I'd love to help, but what you wrote is a bit confusing.  Can you post a link to the pattern, if it's free?  If it's not free, can you post a link to the pic and the row/round preceding where you're having trouble?  Are you working in rows or rounds?  Did you post 1 row/round or 2?

Look around at the beginning of the pattern for special stitches and instructions.  Usually if the pattern is doing something that isn't standard, they explain it before getting into the pattern.  This might help you, too.

(I'm not trying to criticize you're writing style, but the lack of periods and commas make it difficult to read.)

welcome to the ville! :hook

I copied what you wrote, and pasted it into a search, and found a post on Knitting Paradise where it looks like someone tried to answer your question.  Did that answer not help?

Like Redrosesdz said, punctuation is very important, esp in patterns where the placement of a comma can make a huge difference.

Is this the Mandarin Top by Tatiana Mirer? here is its listing in the Ravelry database http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mandarin-top

The only pattern I'm finding with that name is this one, it's not free and I'm having trouble imagining how that instruction you gave would fit into this pattern.  If it is not free on the web, if you could post a link to where you bought it so we can see a photo, or tell us what book it was in?  Often you can figure out what a mysterious pattern instruction is telling you if you can see that spot on a finished piece.

By the way, punctuation is really important in crochet patterns, are there any *, (), other symbols in there?  Even plain old commas, perioids, semicolons help to make it clearer.  Is this part of a row, or multiple rows?

Where are you in the pattern?  Meaning, since this is a top, are you working near the sleeves, collar, ?  Is it a baby, toddler, adult size garment?  It sounds like you are somewhere beyond row 3...

Drop lp from hook join separate strand of yarn in top of dc on row 3 ch 18 fasten off separate strand

I am guessing that you have come to the end of row 4, and it is asking you to add a piece of yarn to the top of the last DC of the row below for the purpose of creating a piece that 'stitcks out' wider than the piece you were working on up to now

working across ch just made pick up dropped lp dc in each of next 3chs ch 2 sk next 2chs dc in each of next 4 chs ch 7 sk next 8chs dc in last ch turn

This describes how you will be making stitches into the chain you just made.  You are making a piece with a big hole in it! 

Hi Magiccrochetfan, I'm typing slow again...

Hi, Granny Square!  :waving

You're not slow, your post is just comprehensive!

I typed a fairly long response but apparently forgot to hit Post before I closed the page.  Came back to the thread----Where the heck did my post go?!?  Had to start over, darn it  :lol

Archived