Magic Ring Help

viv11

Question

This is the start of the pattern:

Rnd 1: 6 sc into a magic ring
Rnd 2: [1 inc] x 6 (12)
Rnd 3: [1 sc, 1 inc] x 6 (18)

Note that I am basically a complete beginner.

So I make a magic ring and make 6 single crochet stitches. Then I join it with the first stitch that I made so that it becomes a circle. The first problem, is that I don't know where to actually put the crochet in to actually increase(I can't tell where each stitch is). I did try doing round 2 but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Are you supposed to end a round.?

If there are specific videos, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Please reply as soon possible.

5 answers to this question

some patterns work in continuous rounds. stitch markers can help you know the first stitch in a round www.planetjune.com has a  magic ring tutorial

Welcome to the 'ville!

I have to say that there are some blogs/websites that have well written, and conventionally written patterns, and a lot that have either poorly written, or unconventionally written patterns that someone with some experience could easily figure out.

This is an unconventionally written pattern that I think is not the best for a complete newbie.

Can you link to the pattern?  There are a lot of common 'things' that have a zillion patterns out there, perhaps we could find a pattern for a similar thing that is better written.

Meanwhile, this site is really excellent for tutorials - some but not all video, many step by step photo tutorials and well written.  I've linked to the tutorial menu page, lots to learn here!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

some patterns work in continuous rounds. stitch markers can help you know the first stitch in a round www.planetjune.com has a  magic ring tutorial

I don't currently have stitch markers so I am using safety pins. What do you do to start the next round?

I didn't answer your question very specifically.  I'm guessing you are making a hat, most start out as a flat circle as your pattern is describing.  I'm also guessing the designer is assuming you will be  working in a spiral (because joining isn't mentioned), in which case you don't join the rounds, you just keep going round and round.  (working in a spiral works nicely for SC, not so much taller stitches or stitch patterns).  As Sopo said, you will need some sort of stitch marker to mark the first stitch in the round, otherwise you won't be able to tell where the rounds stop/start.  I like to use a bobby pin because they don't fall out and they're cheap; you can use a slightly bent paper clip or safety pin, but these tend to be a little more likely to snag the yarn, or fall out.

The tutorial site I linked to will have more helpful photos, but to recognize each stitch, looking at it top down, you will want to put the hook into the stitch under the 2 loops of the stitch that look like a chain (normally, some patterns use only 1 or the other loop only but I don't want to get to far ahead here).

As far as knowing into which stitches to place the increases, circles are made like this:  you start with x stitches, and each round increases by x stitches (in your pattern x=6, which applies to SC; for HDC it's 8 or 9, for DC usually 12).  The pattern:

First round: x stitches

2nd round: increase into each stitch

3rd round:  make 1 plain stitch, increase in the next stitch, repeat

4th round:  make 2 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

5th round:  make 3 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

6th round:  make 4 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

etc...the number of plain stitches between increases goes up by 1 each round.

I didn't answer your question very specifically.  I'm guessing you are making a hat, most start out as a flat circle as your pattern is describing.  I'm also guessing the designer is assuming you will be  working in a spiral (because joining isn't mentioned), in which case you don't join the rounds, you just keep going round and round.  (working in a spiral works nicely for SC, not so much taller stitches or stitch patterns).  As Sopo said, you will need some sort of stitch marker to mark the first stitch in the round, otherwise you won't be able to tell where the rounds stop/start.  I like to use a bobby pin because they don't fall out and they're cheap; you can use a slightly bent paper clip or safety pin, but these tend to be a little more likely to snag the yarn, or fall out.

The tutorial site I linked to will have more helpful photos, but to recognize each stitch, looking at it top down, you will want to put the hook into the stitch under the 2 loops of the stitch that look like a chain (normally, some patterns use only 1 or the other loop only but I don't want to get to far ahead here).

As far as knowing into which stitches to place the increases, circles are made like this:  you start with x stitches, and each round increases by x stitches (in your pattern x=6, which applies to SC; for HDC it's 8 or 9, for DC usually 12).  The pattern:

First round: x stitches

2nd round: increase into each stitch

3rd round:  make 1 plain stitch, increase in the next stitch, repeat

4th round:  make 2 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

5th round:  make 3 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

6th round:  make 4 plain stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

etc...the number of plain stitches between increases goes up by 1 each round.

Hi thanks for the extensive information. Could you please have a look at the message that I have sent with more specific information.

Archived