creating a stretchy edge

charliebird

Question

3 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

you can make your beginning chain looser by using a bigger hook.  

using a foundation stitch is more stretchy usually than the typical chain and first row http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/43642.html

there are lots of online tutorials and videos if you search crochet foundation.  it can be done with double crochet also, or any stitch height really.  

^ what she said.  Another alternative - when I was starting out, I was taught to stitch into the top loop of the foundation chain (as the chain is facing you).  This creates a neutrally stretchy edge (same stretch as the fabric); it looks OK, but isn't the loveliest look for the bottom edge.  You don't need a bigger hook if you do it this way.  I find this way easier/quicker, and use it when the look doesn't matter (like, if I'm adding an edging later).  I've also found that really old crochet manuals (like from the mid 1800s) taught this method as well (no, I'm not quite that old)....

Much more recently, I learned (on the net) that stitching into the 'back bump' makes a nicer looking edge (matches the top edge), but by the nature of the chain's structure, it pulls the chain up tighter.  If you use the bottom bump, using the next size bigger hook (for the chain only) to counteracts the tightening effect of the next row.

Taking the time to learn and practice a foundation chain is well worth the effort.  It might seem difficult at first, but just keep doing it until it feels natural.  Once I learned how, I've never done another long chain.  You can do a foundation chain for any stitch combination.

Pros:

• The bottom edge is stretchy.
  • The bottom edge is the same width as the rest of the rows.
  • You don't have to worry about having too many or too few chains.
  • Saves a lot of time, once you have the hang of it.

Cons:

• It takes practice to become proficient at it.

I highly recommend Marty Miller's "Mastering Foundation Crochet Stitches" at craftsy.com.  Craftsy puts it on sale pretty often, so you don't have to pay the full price.  I've looked at the free demos and they are OK, but not as good or as comprehensive as Marty's class.  Taking her class changed my whole outlook on crocheting.

Archived